• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

The Carriage Conundrum.

Started by John Candy, Oct 20 2017 08:25

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

Thank you Phil for sharing these; they look a very neat job.  Might I ask for a little more detail on the photos so we can see how it all works, and for a list of the MEL part numbers?  I am not familiar with an article by the gentleman mentioned.  One further thought, do these have plain bushes or ball races?
Many Thanks, Tim

Andy B

Tim,
John van Riemsdijk (correct spelling) was a luminary in the G1 world - probably best known for his work in live steam, and his association with the Aster marque.
I imagine the G1MRA book "Modelling in Gauge 1 - Book 4 - Coaching Stock" http://www.g1mra.com/shop/ might have something on the subject.
I have book 2, and there is a lot of useful stuff in there.

Andy

classicdelights

If anyone wants to have a go the parts needed for one pair of bogies are:

Model Engineers Laser part No - 15391  BR Mk 1  Bogie Tie Bars (4 off)

Model Engineers Laser part No - 15392  BR Mk 1  Bogie Ends (4 off)

Model Engineers Laser part No - 15393  BR Mk 1  Bogie Side (1)  (2 off)

Model Engineers Laser part No - 15394  BR Mk 1  Bogie Side (2) (2 off)

Walsall Model Industries Coach wheels and axles (4 sets)

Walsall Model Industries bearings for coach axles (8 off)

6mm bolts for mounding bogies, a spring and washer for each mounting, various rivets nuts and bolts etc.

I have attached the description written by John van Riemsdijk of his Type J Bogie.  Ignore all the dimensions as they are for gauge 1.  This type of bogie lends itself to being lengthened or reduced for all wheel base bogies.  I have already done the parts for the SR Steam Bogie but not any others yet.

Phil

classicdelights

The written description is now also attached.

Phil