Author Topic: Steamlocomotive "Dairymaid"  (Read 806 times)

Offline decauville_nl

Steamlocomotive "Dairymaid"
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
Hello all,

I am very happy to had the chance to buy an old 2 1/2"coal fired steamlocomotive type "Dairymaid". The loco is very Original and is simple but solidly made and is looking very nice. I guess she is steamable after some maintanance and tests. The previous owner bougt the loco at an antique dealer some years ago.

On the National 2 1/2 Inch Gauge Association's website i found out the loco was designed by LBSC and a series of buildinginstructions were published in The Model Engineer 1930/31.

Im am guessing the loco is built between 1930 and 1950 but it is very hard for me to tell. Is there anyone who can tell me more about it's age?

Many thank's in advance.

Arnoud Bongaards - Amsterdam

upload photo

Offline IanT

Re: Steamlocomotive "Dairymaid"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:50:10 PM »
Hallo Arnoud - and welcome.

You already know when the design was published by LBSC and the engine looks a reasonable 'age' - so I think you are probably in the right ballpark with regards to it's likely build date - it might be a decade or so younger but it's very hard to say without any documentary evidence available (such as Bill of Receipts for materials or possibly Boiler Test Certificates more recently). If the engine was built in the 50's, then the builder is most likely no longer with us, so unless a family member knows & recognises it - then it's origins will probably remain a mystery.

It does however look a solidly made engine and I'm sure it will give its new Custodian great pleasure.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline 492

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »

This is a great design. I think that my example of the UD (D15) was built in the 1970's.Originally a "people puller" No 467 has now retired to run on scenic lines, which it does with gusto, and gives me great pleasure.

If I can be of any help please contact me.

Robert. 492

Offline decauville_nl

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 10:41:01 PM »
Ian and Robert thank you for your input and kind words! Alas there is no paperwork with the loco...

Very nice looking loco Robert... Thanks for the offered help, will keep that in mind for sure!

I will enjoy the engine very much i think. The coming weeks/months i am going to check and lightly clean the loco and valve gear, check the gaskets etc.. i want to be carefull and keep the loco as original as possible, i like the patina... So small repairs, yes when needed but no repaint or brass polishing .
Will keep posting some updates here.

Offline decauville_nl

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
Last couple of weeks i have started to check the loco over and give eveything a good clean up.
My inexperience with small locomotives and small nuts and bolts (i am collecting and restoring 1:1 narrow gauge loco's and stock my whole adult life) became apparent when i broke two srews when trying to get the safetyvalve out..... The first warned me ofcourse but even carefull handling did brake the second screw in the end...the rest came out undamaged...To get the broken screws out the solution we came up with is to try silver solder nuts on the remaining short screw stumps.... more later...

I have cleaned the motion and oiled it, and the cylinders very well but something keeps sgueeking and the wheels are hard to turn... Forward is better then reverse... I am still looking for the cause of this, but so far did not dare to tamper with the motion gear... Anybody a suggestion?

I will show the progress in pictures:

DSC_0007 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr

DSC_0023 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr

DSC_0009 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr
Heavy scaling in fittings and boiler

DSC_0157 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr
Vinegar treatment....

DSC_0046-002 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr

DSC_0064-001 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr

DSC_0109 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr
Cleaning up rear axle and frame from grit, ash and oil...

DSC_0051 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr
What are the two small holes for (next to the hole for the holding screw of the ponytruck?)

DSC_0121 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr

DSC_0131 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr
Made a simple rod to hold the ashpan in place for now, this was missing.

DSC_0098 by Arnoud  Bongaards, on Flickr
My worktable  8)

Offline IanT

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
Nice photos Arnoud.

With regards the "two holes" - I may be wrong but I suspect that the builder simply had a piece of metal about the right size (with two holes already drilled in it) and used this for the bogie stretcher.  :-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.