• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

MR 6-wheel brake van

Started by Traininvain, Jul 31 2017 10:06

« previous - next »

Traininvain

Does anyone have an interior photograph of a Midland Railway 6-wheel brake van or know where one can be obtained?

I ask because Andrew Mould is doing a laser cut body kit for G3. He says: "I am aware of most (details) but I don't know about if they had a guards desk or if the side lockers extend the full length of the van."

Any help most appreciated.

Ian

John Candy

Afraid I can't help with the interior (none of the books I have show internal fittings) but, if he is taking orders, then he can put my name down for one (not worried if interior is empty)!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Spitfire2865

Isnt there one preserved? I cant remember where it is though.
I would be interested in a kit if hes looking for customers.
Any contact details?
-Trevor Young

Andy B

Quote from: Spitfire2865 on Jul 31 2017 11:56
Isnt there one preserved? I cant remember where it is though.
In the museum shed at Swanwick, Midland Railway Centre.

Can't guarantee that a preserved example will have all it's interior gubbins, though!

Andy

Traininvain

Tx Andy, do you know if there's a photo or diagram of the interior?

cheers

Ian

Andy B

Quote from: Traininvain on Jul 31 2017 10:06
.. but I don't know about if they had a guards desk or if the side lockers extend the full length of the van."

There are 3 versions of the GA drawings in the MRSC collection - 2 of drawing 651 (the C&W drawing number), and one which carries a loco department drawing number (I don't know why..)
None show the full interior, but we can make some deductions.
All show, on the centre-line section, a side locker on the side opposite to the stove and brakewheel - so I believe there was a full-length locker on one side throughout their lives.

The first lots also had lockers in the other 2 corners, fitted with a hopper for the manual sanding arrangement.
Sanding equipment ceased to be fitted for Lot 338 (the 5th Lot of the 6W brakes, and the first to be 15T instead of 20T).

There is a note added to one drawing stating 'For desk see drg No. 753'. This latter drawing is the GA for the 4w 10T brakes, and a note on here states "Desk added 10/9/07"
So I think we can safely conclude that the first 11 lots (385 Brake vans) were not fitted with desks - however it is possible / likely that they were retro-fitted later. The 260 vans built from 1908 to 1915 were most likely built with 2 desks.

What are you doing for the underframe? These brakes had a back-to-back 'C' channel arrangement for the solebars, and some intricate brakework that hung off a big iron weight casting.

Andy

Traininvain

Tx for that Andy, have passed to Andy Mould who knows of 2 vans - at MRC and also, he says, Battlefield.

I'm going to scratchbuild the underframe from brass with buffers and springs / hangers / axleboxes from Walsall and have a guess at the brakes from the drawings and pix in Midland Wagons v2. Is there a drawing of the underfarme and brake gear do you know?

Ian

Traininvain

Andy

Andrew Mould has asked if you know whether: "the upper tail light brackets on the ends - were these still fitted post 1912 or was it the LMS who stopped fitting and taking them off?

tx

Ian