Author Topic: Self-etch primer .... is it a "con"?  (Read 342 times)

Offline John Candy

Self-etch primer .... is it a "con"?
« on: November 10, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »

Having (possibly) been brainwashed by hype in manufacturers' ads. and magazine articles by painting/finishing "experts", I have long been a user of self-etch primer.
These come in various types (two-pack / single part  / aerosol) and I have used Precison (now Phoenix) single part and, more recently, Teroson aerosol.
Compared with standard spray can primer (e.g. Halfords) they work out at anything up to three times the price.

A couple of days ago, I had cause to strip the paint from a brass model which had been primed with Teroson (costs around £15 per spray can) and the brass was as shiny bright as it had been before spraying and not a sign of any etching of the surface. I have long been sceptical of the value of etch primer (since they dry in a few minutes I find it hard to understand how it has time to perform any etching process) and am now even more so.

I have bought a can of Halfords self etch primer (around the same price as their ordinary primer) but have yet to try it. Shall not be shelling out for anymore Teroson!
Any comments on your experience with these etch paints?

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline AshleyW

Re: Self-etch primer .... is it a "con"?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 03:29:39 PM »
does the "shiny bright" mean un-burnished surface? as that may be the key - in both respects????