Author Topic: BR converted autocoach  (Read 913 times)

Offline hornbeam

BR converted autocoach
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:48:16 pm »
I’m thinking of converting a b-set coach into an auto trailer similar to the BR conversions. There seems very little detail online and I’m wondering if anyone has any plans, books or can point me in the right direction to get the information?

Also any tips on cutting out the windows in brass would be appreciated.

Thank you

Simin,

Offline AshleyW

Re: BR converted autocoach
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 07:12:12 pm »
i saw such a conversion at the large scale modelling show in wythenshaw a few years ago on the g3 stand, ted sadler may be able to point you to the owner

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:55:19 am »
Simon,

The GWR conversion of two E147 brake compos to driving trailers (Nos. 6812 and 6820) involved carriages from Lot 1550 built 1936.

Side and end views of No.6820 are in A Pictorial Record of Great Western Coaches Part 2 (Jim Russell / OPC).

I believe Tim Breeze may have modelled one of these and may be the one Ashley has mentioned.

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline hornbeam

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:11:34 am »
Thank you both, some very useful information.

Simon

Offline John Candy

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 09:57:42 am »
If you are going to cut into the brass bodywork, I would suggest drilling the corners of the apertures and then using a piercing saw to remove the rectangles, followed by cleaning up with a diamond file.

John.

P.S. I will email you some info on the conversions later.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.