Author Topic: Slaters MR Covered Van  (Read 198 times)

Offline Jon Nazareth

• G3 Society Member
Slaters MR Covered Van
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:15:14 PM »
This is mainly directed at Andy Boothman but anyone may chip in.

Andy,
does a drawing exist of an earlier version of the MR Covered Van as supplied by Slaters?  I had a quick look at the Study Centre's register but didn't come up with anything.  I'm mainly looking for a version that had just the one brake.

Jon

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
Re: Slaters MR Covered Van
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
Jon,

Do you mean brakes and lever on one side of the van only (acting on both wheels) or just a single brake block acting on a single wheel?

If the former, then many of the vans would have been built with one-side brakes and single brake lever, prior to the BoT regs being introduced, requiring brakes to be operable from both sides.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Andy B

• G3 Venturer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
Jon,

Drawing 981 is the earliest (MRSC Item ref 88-D0134), dating from July 1893.
Just over a year later a new drawing, 1032, was issued. The biggest difference was the move of the buffing / drawbar springs from the centre to the ends of the vehicle - albeit an invisible change in most G3 models!

There are 2 main visible differences from the first drawing (981) to the Slater's model:
1) The original doors had solid slider pads at the bottom; the rollers depicted in the Slater's moulding did not appear until around 1902, when the third GA drawing (1642) for the 16'-6" Covered Goods wagons was issued.
2) The brake had a 'V' hanger outside the solebar and a single vertical post inside. The change to 2 'V' hangers came on drawing 1032.

As John C says, most were built with brakes on one side only (acting on 2 wheels) and had the other side brake added later.
Even the final GA (1642) pre-dated the 1911 BoT regs, and by that date more that 2500 wagons of this type had been built.
Of course, there were yet more using essentially the same body but on 'Express' running gear (i.e. larger wheels and AVB) - but that's for another post.

Andy

Offline Andy B

• G3 Venturer
Re: Slaters MR Covered Goods Wagons
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
<pedant_mode>
P.S. On the Midland, this type of vehicle is always called a 'Covered Goods Wagon'.
The term 'van' was principally used for Brake Vans, Milk & Fruit Vans, Prize Cattle Vans, Motor Car Vans and a range of horse-drawn road vehicles (various types of delivery and parcels vans).
Sorry, haven't found out why - but it is consistent throughout dozens of drawings!
</pedant_mode>

Andy

Offline Spitfire2865

• Forum Group A Member
  • Group A Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:58:08 AM »
If its of any help, I recently built one of these kits and was easily able to modify the door runners with the parts in the kit. The rollers had to be cut off, plastic strip (supplied with the kit) cut to shape for the sliders, and door rail shortened and redrilled.
-Trevor Young

Offline Jon Nazareth

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
John
I should have said, 'a single brake block acting on a single wheel.

Andy
I always try to pitch my stock around the 1880s or earlier therefore, if covered wagons were built this way then I'd like to have a go.  I'll try and find Drawing 981 and see how it looks.

Trevor
There is obviously hope.

Jon

Offline Jon Nazareth

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:51:22 PM »
Andy
I found the reference to 981 but couldn't actually open it to have a look.  Could you tell me, please, is there a way of doing this.

Jon