Author Topic: LMS Lego  (Read 223 times)

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
LMS Lego
« on: December 02, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
I have bought a RepRap and been busy printing....

regards

ralph

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
Re: LMS Lego
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:35:56 AM »
The exterior wall is now complete and I have started printing the footbridge. This will be made from 150mm long modules and be 80mm wide. The first island piers have been printed and are a scale 7'6" high making the deck of the bridge 15' above platform level. I will probably design and print a set of smoke deflectors for each of the three tracks it has to span.

Progress is typically 15mins for a bracket and 75mins for a support border lattice. Printing it may not be fast but it is better than I could do!!!

Regards

Ralph

Offline Peaky 556

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:22:32 AM »
Does anyone have experience of using printed buildings etc in the garden, and how well they cope without getting brittle in cold weather for instance?  Another matter is how to get paint to stick and stay stuck.
Regards, Tim

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:56:38 PM »
Tim,

I have a feeling that I am the only person here -so the answer will have to be "I will let you now in a few years time". I have a sheet printed PLA that you can experiment on -but I plan to use standard grey car primer on the PLA and then use polyureathane varnish on the wood work before I spray it grey. I only worry about wind damage and (now) the amount of snow the bridge will take...

regards

ralph

Offline Peaky 556

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:45:01 PM »
Ralph,
Think about using Halfords car bumper primer which is quite popular I understand for plastic items outdoors. I assume it must have an etch role.  Good luck in this trail-blazing approach!
Tim

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:44:31 PM »
I have used "Plastikote" grey super primer on polyurethane resin castings, overpainted with Humbrol and Tamiya acrylics.
They have been outside for three Summers and Winters and are showing no sign of flaking. Biggest problem with plastics outdoors is expansion and contraction if exposed to extremes of temperature....joints tend to open up or compress and that can cause problems if fixed to a base board.
Long runs of platform are particularly susceptible and the high coefficient of expansion means it is almost impossible to prevent unless the cast objects are left free to move.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.