• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

URGENT : Nominations required for the Dave Lowe Award.

Started by John Candy, Dec 05 2017 22:20

« previous - next »

John Candy

Another year seems to have flown by in not much more than the blink of an eye and I have been so much pre-occupied with various projects that I had completely forgotten to ask for nominations for this year's award : I have just received a reminder from Chairman Roy that the voting arrangements need to be sorted out urgently.

Please submit your nominations by posting a reply to this message, as soon as possible.

The Dave Lowe Award shield (funded through this forum) is presented annually in memory of our much-missed member and is awarded through nomination and voting by members of The Gauge 3 Society and this forum.

It is time to nominate those you think most worthy of receiving this award, which will be presented at the Gauge 3 Society's AGM.

There are guidance notes/criteria for eligibility and those can be found  at
http://lakes-pages.com/Dave_Lowe_Award.pdf

Thank you,
John Candy
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

As the current holder of The Dave Lowe Shield, could I make a polite request...

I do not wish to be nominated for this now and in any future year.

My reasons for this are simple. I think it should be a once only award. Tim Gleed Owen now has the shield in his safe keeping as I was not sure that I would be at the 2018 AGM. I would like to nominate him for his work on the G3 Wiki and (sub) ground level track construction.

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

Thank you Ralph.

The nominees to date are :-

Phil Flint for his work on producing the axle-hung gearbox and motor bogie employing the "Powermaster" 7-pole motor (the cheap motor supplied to forum members a couple of years ago).

Tim Gleed-Owen as mentioned above (incidentally, the "G3 Wiki" is the www.gauge3.info project, a new comprehensive G3 website being set up by Ralph, Tim and myself which will launch in the New Year).

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

Thank you Ralph for the kind nomination but I don't feel that this work fits into any of the categories given in the guidance to the award, ie 2a, model of a diesel or electric or gas turbine; or 2b, model or infrastructure in Modern Image; or 3, published technical article in furtherance of such models.

John, please don't perpetuate the error of describing your cheap motors as "7-pole"; they have, in fact, five poles only.

Regards, Tim

Peaky 556

John, I would like to nominate John Branch for his excellent work on power bogies and the 1921 Metropolitan Bo-Bo and the 1920 District Line F Class motor coach, and completion of the former into a fine model.  This falls neatly into Category 2a of the guidance.
Regards, Tim

John Candy

PLEASE NOTE THE WINDOW FOR NOMINATIONS HAS NOW CLOSED since the nominees have to be listed in the G3S December Newsletter.

G3S members will find voting instructions in the Newsletter.

John Candy.