Author Topic: And so into another New Year...  (Read 421 times)

Offline IanT

And so into another New Year...
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
I've just made my first post here of 2018 partly because I am going to try and be a bit more active on the Forum this year. I've been watching some excellent G3 modelling on WT and have considered joining their ranks. Two things have deterred me, the first being that I cannot match the quality (or speed) of most of the other contributors there. The second (and more important one) is that I'd like to see this Forum have just as good material appearing on it. A bit of a conundrum really, as having admitted I cannot match the modelling quality, what can I do to help (assuming John keeps the Forum going for a while longer).

Well, I've had a bit of a break from G3 generally last year as other things had to take priority and this may not change too much this year. But I have been working on a few G3 related things and perhaps folk here will be interested in the occasional update as I try to progress them. I will open fresh threads to give more details of each as I have something useful to report but here are the main ones I'm currently thinking about.

a) An Axle Hung Motor Unit (AHMU) that will fit my Newport Shilden. My previous designs were a bit too long to hide completely within the frame. So I've gone back to the drawing board (TurboCAD) and have looked at a much smaller brushless motor set-up (one motor per axle). Mechanically, very simple with a single stage 4:1 gear set but with purpose built ESC's and separate 'engine' management (intelligent control and external comms). I have purchased all the 'components' required and also have the various programming tools I intend to use.

b) In 2016 I built a truly portable but not very scenic track system. I've been pondering how to further develop it and have decided that the simple answer is that it should reflect my own interests and modelling needs (which sounds pretty obvious when stated like that but perhaps wasn't before). So it will be developed as a running track for my use but also for a test bed for another project I've been thinking about...

c) Namely a 'G3' Signalling system based on the MERG CBus. I've been attending the local MRG group over the past year or so in an endeavour to get to grips with some of their technology and in particular CBus. How does 'G3' differ from what everyone else is doing with it - well they not only signal but also control their trains with it. This clearly isn't what I needed so I've been trying to understand what would be both useful and interesting in this area. Without going into any detail at this stage, I'm going to try to build an Absolute Block Signalling System, using CBus parts but with some additional 'G3' logic. So with regards b) above, it should be possible to build a G3 version of the L&Y Signals Training layout for instance.

That's enough of my pipe-dreaming for now. I hope others will start to contribute their plans and aspirations for the coming year here too. I'll open new threads on some of these areas as I go...

Best Wishes for the New Year!

Regards,

IanT     

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline John Candy

Re: And so into another New Year...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 09:32:26 PM »
(assuming John keeps the Forum going for a while longer)

Ian,

Good to see you "breathing new life" into the forum..... input has been flagging of late and I had been mulling over what to do about it.
I have no plans to terminate it in the near future but will be monitoring the situation.
Most of my own input is of the blow-by-blow "how to do it" type, which could be just as easily compressed into articles for the new Gauge3.info site which will be launched in the near future (as successor to www.G3MadeSimple.org.uk but with a hugely expanded content, presented in the "Wiki" style).
The new site has been made possible by the involvement of Ralph ("Cabbage") and Tim ("Peaky 556") both having made a considerable contribution to the content and editing.

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline IanT

Re: And so into another New Year...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
Well we will have to see how we get on John.

One thing that is clearly much easier now is the ability to post photos without 'shrinking' them (as was needed before) - and I think a few photos can really help to make Forum posts a much more interesting read (as well as being easier to follow/understand the points being made in some instances).

Regards,

IanT 
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.