• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Motor Bogie for 9' 6" Wheelbase

Started by Peaky 556, Jan 10 2017 07:29

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

Hi all, just wondering if there might be any interest out there for a Co bogie of 9' 6" wheelbase, and 3' 6" wheels?
This is longer than the 8' of my Peak bogie and therefore gives more options for gearing than achievable with my compact axle-hung motor gearbox.  I haven't yet looked to see if a pair of the beautiful Turner-Flint AHMGs would fit in this wheelbase, but I do admit to seeking a more cost-effective choice.
Regards, Tim

Peaky 556

....and do people think it important that the visible space between the wheels on a Co bogie is uncluttered with gears, belts etc? This obviously constrains a design. ???? Tim

Doddy

• What is a Turner-Flint AHMG?
  • What does the 9' 6" represent? Measured between which of the three Axles?
  • What prototype would use such a Co bogie?
  • Pictures?
"You don't know what you don't know"

Peaky 556

Quote from: Doddy on Jan 12 2017 11:37

• What is a Turner-Flint AHMG?
  • What does the 9' 6" represent? Measured between which of the three Axles?
  • What prototype would use such a Co bogie?
  • Pictures?
Doddy,
Q1. The Axle Hung Motor Gearbox conceived by Ian Turner and engineered by Phil Flint (see pic)
Q2. Sorry I have meant to say "Bo", sincere apologies to all, so 9' 6" between axles.  :-[
Q3 & Q4.  It's just a madcap scheme of mine so I'll keep it under my hat in case it never materialises.

So to ask the proper question, would anyone be interested in me developing ideas for a powered Bo bogie, for external frames, at 9'6" wheelbase? :-[

Peaky 556

Mine is developing with a brushless motor, which I have yet to try.  I wondered if Gavin or anyone else out there has continued with their experimentation on these?
??? Tim

Gavin_B

Brushless motors are on my list I have the control system now just need the time to put it all togther

Gavin