Author Topic: Electroluminescent Wire  (Read 318 times)

Offline IanT

Electroluminescent Wire
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:16 PM »
Before I forget - one of the guys had some Electroluminescent Wire at the MERG meeting last night. It may not be new to some here but I hadn't seen or heard of it before. It consists of a special plastic tube (about 1.5mm OD) with a copper wire running through it. A battery pack (a bit smaller than a cigarette box) sends a 100v pulse at 1Khz and the wire glows... altogether weird.

I'm not sure of all the potetial modelling applications but I did think it might be usable as scale fluorescent lighting if it was threaded (for instance) in a modern-image carriage ceiling or some such. Not expensive to experiment with - I just found a white 3 metre length (with controller) on eBay for £2.41 including postage... silly prices really.

So this may already be common knowledge for some here but then again maybe not...anyway thought I'd mention it.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline AllWight

Re: Electroluminescent Wire
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »
wonder if it comes in strobe lighting too we can have a gauge 3 rave up!!

Mark

Offline IanT

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
You can get it in about six different colours Mark - so with a bit of extra electronics, a G3 scale Disco might be possible. Saturday Night Fever at Blackgang Station perhaps?    :D

Regards,

IanT

Offline AllWight

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
Please Ian I now have mental images of you dancing like John Travolta and its not pretty!!

Mark

Offline IanT

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »
My sons have often 'commented' on my dancing in the past Mark - and unfortunately they seem to agree with you!    :(

IanT