Author Topic: Doddys HaupWerkstatte - My build thread  (Read 429 times)

Offline Doddy

Doddys HaupWerkstatte - My build thread
« on: March 02, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
Plans are afoot!

The RS540 specification brushless motor and the Quanum 2208 Brushless Motor have arrived from China and the UK. The RS540 has FET (Field Effect Transistor) feedback for connection to a an ESC (Electric Speed Controller) based Brushless Controller with FET inputs, the Quanum comes without FET's, as does most Radio Control equipment on the market.

Whilst waiting for some remaining items to be delivered, I wanted to see how they fared physically in relation to Gauge 3 back-to-back wheel dimensions, although the main plan is really to test their slow speed control potential for model railway applications before I start making any decisions on manufacturing gearboxs and mounting frames.

Here they are seen in comparison to a set of G3 wheels from GRS - Ref: Slaters Plastikard G3125 Gauge 3 (G64) Coach Wheel 3' 7" Plain Disc

Here they are with the RS540.

And with the
Quanum 2208

The Quanum 2208 was selected for its small size potential for use in very small locomotives and Electric multiple Unit rolling stock where you don't want the motors intruding through the floor. Like these Isle-of-Wight, ex-LT1938 tube vehicles which have very small diameter wheels, typically in the region of about 2' 6" . . .

The RS540 was selected for my ADtranz 12X locomotive test rig where more power is required. This project was initially documented in this thread - http://g3forum.org.uk/index.php/topic,2087.msg13549.html#msg13549

The Brushless Motor Test Rig (barring acquiring some remaining cables) is almost complete parts wise, and nearly ready to be assembled to test various motor/controller combinations.

This build thread will be added to with my experiences with Radio Control, Digital Sound and of course the locomotive builds - providing I can find a suitable means of propulsion.

"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline hornbeam

Re: Doddys HaupWerkstatte - My build thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
All very interesting, and now you have got me thinking about 38 stock in our scale!

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
All very interesting, and now you have got me thinking about 38 stock in our scale!

You'll have to build it with air-operated doors (or at least simulated air operation)!
To be realistic they will have to open and shut several times before the starting signal bell will "ping".......memories of the Northern Line commute from Morden in the 1960's!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline IanT

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
It's certainly very ambitious Doddy - but why not?

It's Gauge 3 and we have a lot more room for interesting stuff on board...    :D

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.