Author Topic: Doddys HaupWerkstatte - My build thread  (Read 10316 times)

Offline Doddy

Primrose Hill - Camden Bank
« Reply #75 on: May 16 2020 12:33 »
As a kid I used to walk down to Euston Station from Kings Cross, observing locomotives in KX, St Pancras and then the AC electric classes 81 to 87. In those days both the aluminium E3xxx and painted TOPS numbering systems were in use.

Taking the Class 501 3rd rail electric multiple units out to Willesden Junction, I was always enamoured with the interweaving of the various tunnels at Primrose Hill.

After many years search I have finally found a link to engineering drawings of the proposed HS2 infrastructure in and around Euston. Photos of the area in steam days revealed LNWR Type 5 signal boxes standing proud over the 3rd rail tunnels. Camden steam MPD is now occupied by sidings for suburban EMU's, the old LNWR/LMS crew accomodation is now used by various media companys.

Chalk Farm freight terminal has been long demolished along with it's extensive fan of sidings, Gilbeys Gin distillery has been demolished along with the winding station that hauled the early Birmingham & Manchester trains out of Euston station up Camden Bank. Only one hydraulic accumulator tower exists today with some of the underground tunnels of the area.

The 'Rat Hole' reminds me of Tim Gleed-Owens problems with tunnel heights as it is now unused and has not enough height to install overhead catenary. This line used to run underneath the whole area from north of Primrose Hill Station to the other side of the line to run empty stock to Eustons LNWR built carriage shed. Sadly now demolished for the HS2 project.

The area has been extensively remodelled from steam days, so if anybody has any information on track diagrams for the area down past Camden Steam Motive Power Depot and Chalk Farm freight depot I'd like to know about them.
"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline Chris_P

Re: Doddys HaupWerkstatte - My build thread
« Reply #76 on: May 16 2020 16:34 »
There are 2 LNWR 12 wheel coaches on display in Rewley Road at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre one being a dining saloon with the clerestory and the other a slightly later build where the clerestory was replaced by an elliptical roof. When/if the centre reopens after covid they are both easily accessed as they are very much a core part of the public display.

https://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/lnwr_no77.htm

https://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/lnwr_no112.htm

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #77 on: May 16 2020 17:04 »
Robert,

Let me know what type of 12-wheeler(s) you want to build as they vary a great deal.  I probably have most of the information you need here.  You probably know that I have a train of eight myself.

In broad terms there were:
Dining Saloons with narrow, intermediate or wide vestibules.
Sleeping Saloons the same
The American Special WJCS set train which was all 12-wheeled except for a kitchen car and two brake vans
The 2pm Corridor set train which was all 12-wheeled in separate parts for Glasgow, Edinburgh etc.
The two Royal Saloons

And that is all.  So give some thought to what you want to model.

Mike

Offline Doddy

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for the kind offer, I was not aware that you had a rake of coaches either.

First of all, rather unusually, I know absolutely nothing about the LNWR. The project in mind is to model the Buchli drive electric locomotive planned by the LMS for the Crewe Carlisle section of the WCML and a Type 5 LNWR signal box as per its use on the Primrose Hill Tunnels.

Robin Barnes colour plate depicts the locomotive leaving Lancaster with the 1903 Royal Train cars, some of which are 8  wheeled and others 12 wheeled. (PM sent)

Since the locomotive was intended to be built as a fleet of locomotives and named in a manner like the LNWR did and since the Crewe Carlisle electrification was to be driven south as it was in BR times I have a modellers licence to look at the potential of either replicating Robin Barnes Royal Train colour plate or a general WCML train formation with 12 wheeled stock.

Modelling the coaches in the LMS period may lead me into loosing the coach colours to LMS red instead of LNWR plum and I would really like the loco in LMS red and the coaches in LNWR livery. I would say that I have not found sufficient evidence for what I am looking for to say when that overlap would have occured.

Golden Age Models have the Royal Train Cars listed as
  • King’s Saloon No.800 (12 wheel).
  • Queen’s Saloon No.801 (12 wheel).
  • First Dining Saloons (12 wheel) No.76 and 77.
  • First Sleeping Saloon (12 wheel) No.477.
  • Semi-Royal Saloons (8 wheel) No.803, 804, 805,806, 807 and 808.
  • Brake-End Saloons (8 wheel) No.5154 and 5155
Many thanks.
Robert

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #79 on: May 16 2020 21:19 »
Yes Robert, that is a typical formation for the Royal Train, though it did change depending on who was in it.

The LNWR Royal Train was kept in LNWR livery at the request of the royal family until the LMS insisted it be changed during WWII as it was otherwise something of an obvious target!

Attached about half of my train on test at Ampthill a few years ago.  They are ex-Mike May and Roger McLellan and represent the 2pm Corridor.  One day I'll build a pair of Brake End carriages for it.

Finally, have you worked out how much track space your 5 x 65ft 6in and 8 x 57ft carriages will take up?

Here's a promise - if you build it I'll lend you my Claughton for a short spell as a change from the HaupWerkstatte.

Mike

Offline blagdon

« Reply #80 on: May 16 2020 23:29 »
Mike, I'm sure I have some video of your '2pm Corridor Express' on one of my YouTube offerings; I'll check which one.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #81 on: May 26 2020 08:25 »
Here are some photo of one of the Dining Saloons used in the Royal Train sometimes.  Gives an idea of the complication when making a model.

http://www.lnwrhg.com/diner249/diner249_pages.php

Mike

Offline 753

« Reply #82 on: May 26 2020 09:44 »
Mike
It maybe a statement of the obvious, but complex subjects that are worth modelling can be a daunting prospect at the outset, but when you breakdown the subject to the individual components the burden becomes easier.

Or another way of looking at it is we must admit to being a bunch of masochists who enjoy a challenge, and that’s all part of the fun.

I have tried tiddlywinks, but it just doesn’t cut the mustard!!

Mike

Offline cabbage

« Reply #83 on: May 26 2020 10:22 »
Speaking as a person regarded by friends and family as borderline insane... I have to agree with Robert! The whole entity is dazzlingly complex. BUT it does break down into std parts that could be fabricated.

Looking at the troupe of robots beside me, The Reprap can print: window surrounds, buffers, aerovents. The laser can etch cutting plans into a sheet of A4 plywood or templates in card -as it has done with the 2-NOL. The CAM router can cut MDF and Ply sections -to make formers to bend wire. The ornate brass pierceings would have to be done via photo etching. This is a subject that I only know from making my own PCBs and I doubt simply dropping a sheet of brass into the Ferric Chloride solution and shaking the bottle -is the method used!!!

I would class it as a MONSTER PROJECT one I would be delighted to help you with!!!

regards

ralph

Offline Doddy

Automated Platform Barriers for the SNCF under test
« Reply #84 on: Jul 12 2020 12:35 »
For those that like complicated projects, the latest sTraffic designed vertical platform screen doors are being tested on the platform of Vanves-Malakoff station in the Paris region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBu0dHy77uc

Doddy

Offline Doddy

Sieck, AOF Maquettes, Atelier Plas and Stoom & Spoor
« Reply #85 on: Jul 13 2020 15:04 »
Having followed product developments, eBay sales and recent new products I have to say that the Plan V is rather nice.

At 1:22.5 scale running on 45mm track, I wonder what it would look like on Gauge 3 track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RphXymLS3og

Stoom and Spoor NS1000 locomotive with Plan E coaches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oTFK4EMRmA

Offline Doddy

Windows 7 to Windows 10 and a new DAW
« Reply #86 on: Nov 13 2020 14:52 »
Yep, it's that time again to change versions of Operating System software. My current set-up uses Windows 7 and many of my audio and CAD editing programs require Windows 10 or MAC to run on.

A new Antek 300 case is being populated with a new CPU (the old one does not support Windows 10) a new Graphics card and several high speed disk drives (7500rpm) for audio and video editing and a solid state drive (SSD) for the Operating System.

One of the drivers on the audio side is driven by the requirement to multitrack audio for video editing software in the production of media for film, TV, web apps and other services. But my hobby does not get left out either.

Since I have established the use of MIDI controlled Digital Sampler hardware for model railway locomotives. The new DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) editing software allows me to have a better graphical and audio representation of multiple recording streams which were recorded in synchronisation with each other.

In the case of diesel locomotives like this Deltic, the engine compartment, exhaust, air intake and braking system all had microphones to capture the unique howling of the air intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHKTBvr0hk8

COVID Kindness:

Following the recent delivery of John Candys unused GWR Railcar bogie sideframes, and his specially designed radiators and ancillary castings he kindly sent me, the first audio project to be re-activated is of a 'CD quality' sound card for the GWR Railcar.The GWR Railcar specification includes the following sounds.
  • Main breaker switch on/off
  • Engine start/stop and running sequences 2 x B.U.T. (A.E.C.) engines
  • Main and backup sets of Hi-Lo GWR Brass Air Horns
  • Davies and Metcalfe Brake application and release sequences
  • 4-speed epicyclic gearbox running sounds in sync with dynamic engine note exhaust changes
  • Driver and guards bells
  • Door slam
This project will allow a DAW plug-in called Maxx-Bass to be used.

Maxx-Bass is a Plug-in that uses psychoacoustics to alter the character of reproducing the Bass reproduction characteristics of audio. It does this by reassembling the Bass component of the audio within higher frequencies, thus masking the human brains ability to process Bass frequencies and allowing Bass restricted hardware to reproduce the Bass component through the higher frequency band. Thus it makes it ideal for model locomotive sound design as the miniaturised speakers can more effectively present the Bass component within the frequency response curve of the speaker.

TAFN

Robert

Offline Doddy

WaveWalker 1 on the Dawlish Seawall
« Reply #87 on: Nov 14 2020 09:49 »
Last week WaveWalker 1 arrived at Dawlish to assist in phase 2 of the Dawlish seawall rebuild.

Network Rails project description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ZpJol1c3g

In action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM8XILynlAU

And in model form -

https://www.wavewalkerbv.com/