• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GRS JINTY

Started by AllWight, Mar 19 2018 11:37

« previous - next »

AllWight

A little bit more progress on the GRS jinty kit. The chassis has had two sprays of etch primer followed by a spray of red primer and Audi brilliant red for the top coat on the inside of the frames. The out side of the frames, footplate, brake rigging and body top have all received coats of Halfords black. I still need to drill out some holes in the bunker end of the footplate for the wiring to pass through as well as the operating switch and charge socket for the radio control equipment.

Mark

AllWight

A few more pics

Mark

Peaky 556

Very nice Mark.  Also tell us about the motor and gearbox please, ie make, ratio, does the flywheel make a difference etc.

AllWight

The moor is the normal mabuchi motor as supplied by GRS. I have the same motors in my 02's and the radial tank. The flywheel does make a difference to all the locos that i have built and without it they are too jerky.

Mark

LankyTank

Mark

Are you fitting R/C, or is customer? What type? Battery pack?

Got one in build & haven't decided which system to go for - though erring towards Revo.

Barry

AllWight

Hello

Its for a customer and will be fitted with 16AA rechargeable batteries and i will be using the Brian Jones mach5 system with a 2.4Ghz transmitter. The owner has yet to decide which model of transmitter he is going to go for as he has 3 locos that all need to be fitted with RC gear. This loco, an 02 and a quarry hunslet. I personally use the spektrum DX6i but the models that i use are now no longer a current model and the prices have shot up a lot in recent years. I found a radio control car place over near Camberley a few years ago and they d very good quality mid range transmitters.

I had to get one quickly in November last year as one of my transmitters was faulty and i needed it for the Warley show in order to run my loco FYN 2. I purchased it at £35 and thought it would do as a short term stop gap and in all honesty i think it will stay in the model now as it appears to run just as well if not slightly better than the DX6i.   

Mark