• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Live steam King Arthur at auction

Started by MikeWilliams, Mar 29 2018 08:27

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

DREWEATTS 1759 have a sale on 25th April which includes a nice looking King Arthur.

An Exhibition quality 2 ½ inch gauge model of a Southern Railways 4-6-0 King Arthur Class tender locomotive No.747 Elaine , built by the late Mr Patrick Avery of Ashbourne, Derbyshire. The silver soldered copper boiler having fittings including pressure gauge, water sight glass, regulator, safety, drains and other usual fittings. The chassis having twin outside cylinders, Walschaerts valve gear, fluted motion, injector, clack and ratchet oiler system. The model finished in traditional green and black lined livery with fitted smoke deflectors, steps, hand-rails and detailed rivet work. The eight wheel tender with coal compartment, fitted brake, hand operated water feed pump, steps, hand rails and coupling. Length 92cm. Cab width 12cm. Comes together with display track. No Boiler History available. * The original full size locomotive SR No 747 Elaine was built by LSWR Eastleigh in July 1922 and was withdrawn from service in October 1956 being BR No.30747.

Estimate of £2000 - £3000 would seem quite good to me except there is no boiler certificate.

IanT

Looks nicely made Mike...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

That's what I thought Ian.  And if you follow to the auctioneer's website the interior of the cab is so nice I wondered if they had made a mistake and it was larger scale.

We have a few members with an interest in steam and Southern, so maybe we will see this one come into the Society?

MikeWilliams

It appears to have been sold for £3500, presumably plus commission and VAT.