Author Topic: Applying transfers over strapping  (Read 477 times)

Offline hornbeam

Applying transfers over strapping
« on: April 03, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
Hi,

One of my next projects will be a coke wagon and I'm debating on weather to finish it in Cambrian Coke livery. Now of so, the transfers from GRS will need to go over the wahon strapping. I've not really had to do this before and am keen for any tips to ensure I apply them well. Any tips greatly received, of its to much faff plain Grey it is instead!

Simon

Offline LankyTank

• G3 Society Member
  • Old enough to know better, but I don't care.....
Re: Applying transfers over strapping
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
Simon

Obtain some of the product that goes by the name of 'Microsol' and 'Microset' - the microsol softens the transfers to allow a bit of give/stretch & the microset, sets the transfer when in position (I think I've got that the right way round - if not someone will shout.......). Usually get mine from Squires Tools (they have a web presence)  down in Bognor - other suppliers are available.

Offline AllWight

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
you can always sign write it yourself. Ive done a few wagons including all of mine

Mark

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:51:29 AM »
Mark, you are a skilled artist. That is not an option for most of us!

Offline AllWight

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »
Hi Mike

Nice of you to say so. Was just a thought.

Mark

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
A very good thought Mark and the resilts are always better than transfers . . . MUCH better than my transfers . . . but I know I can't do it.

Offline Traininvain

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
Has anyone ever come across transfers that can be used as stencils?

cheers

Offline IanT

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 09:42:31 PM »
If you just need stencils Ian - then perhaps a (craft) die cutter (to produce accurate CNC drawn stencils) would be a good solution?

Regards

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline AllWight

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »
Hello

I think you may be overthinking this a little bit.

When i do my sign writing like the SR and other writing on the wagons i do all the horizontal lines then all the vertical lines and then all the awkward lines. Letter "S, C and R" are probably the hardest to get right. Obviously there are a lot of "S's and R's"' on the Southern wagons. I suggest you invest in some low tac tape as well as some high quality artist brushes to minimize the amount of going over the lines as it were.

Mark

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 09:11:05 PM »
Decalsol and Decalset do help a great deal, but for me the transfers still don't lay down flat and I also cannot completely get rid of the carrier film.  For those reasons I don't sell Gauge 3 transfers any more.

I have wondered about stencils for some time.  If I drew on CAD and laser cut a sheet of steel/plastic/wood/whatever with the full lettering for a P.O. wagon side and had a series of small location holes along the top and down one end where dowels could locate a strip or angle, then the whole thing would locate onto a wagon side.  Then spray the white lettering through the stencil.

Take that a stage further, have two rows of small location holes, spray with black, move the angles to the second set of holes which moves the stencil up and to the left a couple of mm, and then spray with white – hey presto, perfect shaded lettering ... in theory!

I suspect the major flaw will be that due to the thickness of the details on the sides (same problem as transfers) the stencil will be some way away from the side allowing spray to get under the stencil.

But one day I will try it out and see!

Mike

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 11:33:45 PM »
Mike/Mark,
This is about the smallest I can do with shaded lettering, about 18” tall lettering!
😀 ;D

how to upload photos in internet