Author Topic: Model Railway Journal : 3D printing and other topics.  (Read 153 times)

Offline John Candy

Model Railway Journal : 3D printing and other topics.
« on: April 12, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »
I happened to be in WH Smith in St Ives (Cambs.) today and, while Carol was looking for a mag., happened to spot issue 262 of the MRJ (a mag. I have not read for many years).

What prompted me to buy it was "Modelling Road Surfaces" (mentioned on the cover) which I thought would come in handy when "scenicising" (if that is a proper word!) Monkton Priors.

When I got home and opened it, it turned out to have even more interesting content. There is a long article on 3D hi-res printing as well as another on deploying "static" grass (the method of application using an electric charge) with a "Flockbox Fusion" gadget.

So for 4.80GBP (a lot more than when I last purchased a copy) I gained three very useful articles.

On another matter, Roger ("Bolingbroke") and I have jointly invested in a "Cricut Maker" with accessories and we are on the point of experimenting with the die-cutting of panelled carriage sides, horseboxes and other items from plywood, MDF, plastic card and other materials.

The "Maker" is a machine which delivers a 4Kg "punch" ..... more than ten times the force of its predecessors.

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline IanT

Re: Model Railway Journal : 3D printing and other topics.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
Very interested in this John - please keep us updated on how you get on.

Regard,

InT

This thread is continued as Die-cutting low cost coach parts. at

http://g3forum.org.uk/index.php/topic,2148.msg13828.html#msg13828

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:44:24 AM by John Candy »
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.