• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Midland Brake Van Interior

Started by Jon Nazareth, Apr 29 2018 10:55

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

Can anyone tell me, please, what colour did the Midland paint the interior of their early brake vans?

Jon

John Candy

Jon,

Afraid the Essery books (which you may have) make no mention, that I can see, of brake van interiors.

I do believe I have read that the LMS painted brake van interiors a mid-green shade and, since the LMS followed Derby practice in brake van design, it seems a plausible that the colour would be the same (the external colours certainly were).

I shall be painting green my LMS (ex-MR 20T) brake van interior .

Andy B may know a better source to confirm or refute the foregoing.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

Since posting previous message I have found following reference.

LMS 1936 paint specification (for brake van interiors) states undercoat to be "middle Brunswick green with a finishing green topcoat".

Don't have any earlier info.

John.

P.S. Yes, I do ......... March 1929 LMS instructions specify mix to be used.

Undercoat : Brunswick Green, dry     30lb Item 15, Contract 55
                  Raw Linseed Oil              15ib Item 3, Contract 149
                  Liquid Driers                   2lb  Special Contract
                  Boiled Linseed Oil            12lb Item 1, Contract 149
                  Carriage Varnish (Inside)   4lb Special Contract

Topcoat : Same as undercoat with addition of 25% carriage varnish.

Source : LMS Wagons Vol 2 Essery/OPC
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Andy B

Sorry - I can't add any more at present!
I have asked the question on the Midland Railway Society discussion group

Andy

Jon Nazareth

Thanks chaps for the info.
Thinking about it, painting the interior Brunswick Green would make it dark, surely?
Mine is an early version and I decided to leave the interior grey as I didn't want to have paint wandering out of the glazing rebates onto the exterior.  Although, I have now fitted the glazing, if a colour is found for the interiors of early vans, I may just have a go.

Jon

John Candy

QuoteThinking about it, painting the interior Brunswick Green would make it dark, surely?

Yes!

The photo I have seen of the interior of a Stanier 20T brake van looks extremely gloomy!

Green is supposed to be the most "restful" colour for the eyes, so perhaps that was the reasoning.

GWR brake vans were cream and brown inside, like the coaching stock exteriors.

In reality, you are unlikely (at normal viewing distance) to be able to tell what colour the interior has been painted.

Regards,
John.

Peaky 556

Quote from: John Candy on May 02 2018 09:10

In reality, you are unlikely (at normal viewing distance) to be able to tell what colour the interior has been painted.

Regards,
John.

John, I think most of us would agree with that sentiment.  Some of us, however, have a need to 'get it right' for personal satisfaction, and I know that you subscribe to that philosophy!
:) Tim

MikeWilliams

Probably no help at all, but LNWR carriage and wagon departments were separate and different. Carriage guard's had pea green but passenger vans were grained. I think goods vans were cream but not at all sure of that.

As I said, no help at all!

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Tim
That is very flattering.  I thought that if I was going to paint the interior it ought at least to be the right colour :)

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Here are some pictures of my version of an early Midland Brake Van based on the Slaters kit.

Jon

Peaky 556

Lovely little model Jon, and doesn't it have HUGE wooden brake blocks!  Lots of wear in those! 😁

Jon Nazareth

Thanks, Peaky, it could do with weathering but I'm never brave enough to do that to one of my wagons especially after painting.

This picture shows part of the drawing that I was following showing those brake blocks

Jon