• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Slaters extended axles (for outside frame locos).

Started by John Candy, Apr 14 2018 19:16

« previous - next »

John Candy

Slaters extended axles (for outside frame locos).

I know Slaters supply an extended axle (with flying crank) for the outside frame BR 08 350HP DE shunter (and  presumably will use same with the forthcoming Kirtley 1F 0-6-0).

I have never seen the arrangement "in the flesh" so have no idea how it fits together.

Is the extended axle designed to fit any Slaters wheelset or do the 08 wheels have a different "boss" pattern to other wheels?

I am needing wheelsets for a GWR "Bulldog" 4-4-0 ("Bird" series No. 3444 "Cormorant") and my options are severely limited. The crank throw on the "Bulldog" is 12 ins but the throw on the majority of GWR locos is 15ins. If I use wheels with  15 ins throw, the redundant crankpin base will be visible below the framing, even though the flying crank can have 12 ins throw.

I have looked at the N2.5GA ranges but the only wheels which seems to be suitable are Slaters G3868GE (intended for the GE/LNER E4) which have 12 ins throw even though the number of spokes (16) is probably wrong (usually 18 on GWR wheels of that diameter).

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

hornbeam

Hi John, the axle is tapered and the wheel was a press fit onto it.

John Candy

Thanks Simon.

I obviously need to look for alternative solutions.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

Wheels issue resolved!

Mark Wood has agreed to do cast a set to special order.

If anyone else is contemplating a "Duke", "Bulldog" or "Earl" (a.k.a. Dukedog) then the part Nos. are X150 for the drivers and X149 for the loco bogies. The lead time is around 5 months.

John.