• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Boiler Inspectors Seminar Peterborough

Started by cabbage, Apr 23 2018 08:01

« previous - next »

cabbage

Despite being dehydrated, starved and baked alive, I actually had a very informative and enjoyable day. These are some shots of "The Black Museum".

After lunch we went outside and performed a hydraulic pressure test on a boiler and visual examination of a loco prior to doing a live steam test.

They also demonstrated testing the pressure meters and getting them certified by a lab. What is most important is that the red line is accurate to the test meter. If it fluctuates as it rises that is acceptable.

Regards

Ralph

Peaky 556

Ralph, can we ask if you are still on track to becoming a Society boiler tester, and if so, whether the conference was useful in this respect?
Tim

cabbage

Yes, I am now a boiler inspector. But the seminar was informative -not required. There is nothing stopping you becoming one. Which would be very useful -for me!!!

Regards

Ralph

AshleyW

one of the pics looks like a maxitrak alice, did they make a blank for the safety valve/regulator cover or just hold down the safety valve with tape? i had one once and maxitrak suggested not taking the cover off and doing just that with tape and using the clack for pumping up- so just curious?

cabbage

There did seem to be some form of blanking plate. But not knowing the loco I could not tell you if it was in the correct position.

Regards

Ralph