Author Topic: Steel Wheels ..... a guide to turning.  (Read 98 times)

Offline John Candy

Steel Wheels ..... a guide to turning.
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:05:21 PM »

If you haven't taken a look at the Gauge 3 Wiki recently (www.gauge3.info/wiki/ ) you will not have seen an excellent article by Peaky 556 on turning steel wheels.

I have, for some while now, been trying to come to a decision as what to do about my three live steam LNER Y6 (ex-GER Wisbech & Upwell) tram locos (see http://gauge3.info/downloads/docs/kitsandconversions/locomotives/LNER_Y6_Tram_Loco.pdf ) since they require new wheels.

To cut a long story short, the Cheddar Steam chassis were re-gauged by Lynx Model Works who made a "pigs ear" of the job. They had three attempts at getting the gauge and quartering correct and, at the third attempt, made new wheels which were supposed to be to the specs. on the G3S website. The locos went to Lynx at the beginning of 2006 and I eventually got them back (for the third time) six years later and , having lost interest by that time, I stuck them in the cupboard. When a few years ago I tried them on the track, the wheels dropped between the rails......I checked the wheels and they had a tread width of less than 4mm. Tried teasing them out but (not unexpectedly) they then fouled the "V" on turnout crossings.

I had lost the will to spend more on them (the three conversions had cost almost 800GBP) and stuck them back in the cupboard. I have since been trying to decide whether to have new wheels made or convert them to battery power.

This is where the article comes in....... I can either have the wheels made for me or, perhaps, have a go at turning them myself if (a BIG IF) I can find the time!

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline hornbeam

Re: Steel Wheels ..... a guide to turning.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:15:26 PM »
Hopefully you resolve it John, been keeping an eye out for a second hand live steam one of these for a while.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:41:54 PM »
Hi Simon,
I have already been subjected to some "arm-twisting" by a certain person (a friend who lives in the former home of late Revd. Awdry of "Thomas" fame) who wants one....but I have resisted.
If I change my mind and do decide to dispose of them I will bear you in mind.
Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »

If you haven't taken a look at the Gauge 3 Wiki recently (www.gauge3.info/wiki/ ) you will not have seen an excellent article by Peaky 556 on turning steel wheels.

John

Thanks John, but on reviewing it I have made an early mistake in that I recommended JLR Kennions when it should have read GLR Kennions. Before I amend the pdf, any comments on the content, eg for clarification or correction, are welcomed.
Thanks, Tim