• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Milk and Racehorses.

Started by John Candy, May 17 2018 08:25

« previous - next »

John Candy

My plan for Monkton Priors....yes, it will be completed.... includes milk and racehorse trains (a la Lambourn). To this end (not having the time to build myself ... already having 10 locos at various stages of planning and construction) I have commissioned Mike Danby to build a GW "Bulldog" 4-4-0 (as well as a 2251 Class 0-6-0).

The idea is to build a train of various 6-wheel "Siphons" (GW diagrams O1 to O6) using the die-cutter for the open-sided bodies and some horseboxes (GW, GNR, GER, etc.).

Anyhow, the Bulldog (current intention is to finish it as No. 3409 "Queensland") is advancing well and a current photo is attached. The only delay in completion is likely to be the wheels, for which I have placed a special order with Mark Wood.

More news soon.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Jon Nazareth

John
What period are we talking about for these horseboxes?  Fore whatever reason, I quite like horseboxes.

Jon

John Candy

Jon,

Currently the only horsebox I have is LNER dia.5 (1938) from the GRS kit.
Of those I am considering, the earliest are from c.1895 (GNR) and most of the others are Edwardian era types.
The target period for Monkton Priors is 1930s/40s.
I imagine these would be too "modern" for your requirements?

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Jon Nazareth

John

You are right, I do like them to be early but the GNR one may be okay.  I'll have to see if I can find a picture of it.  If you sold these, I expect that it would be body only?

Jon

Jon Nazareth

I did find this one and it has the 'look' but, no date.

Jon

John Candy

That is dia.352 which was subject of the following topic I raised a few years ago and is the type I now have in mind.

http://g3forum.org.uk/index.php/topic,257.0.html

John

Jon Nazareth

John

You can add my name to the list.

Jon