• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

New WIKI article

Started by cabbage, Jun 20 2018 09:18

« previous - next »

cabbage

The Wiki is up and running but there is one part of it that is missing.... We are looking to build a "dictionary" of railways that have been built or are under construction. What we are looking for are the "mistakes" and "good ideas" that caused problems! If you could give a rough plan of your railway and a simple geographic location eg, Derbyshire or Cambridgeshire etc.

You can either leave your information here or e-mail me.

regards

ralph

Peaky 556

I'm a little puzzled Ralph.  Are you only looking for ideas and aspects that have caused problems?
Somewhere I would like to know what techniques have been successful!  This could be balanced nicely by a description of tempting but troublesome pitfalls.
Currently on the latter, all I could offer is that well known warning about cuttings; they accumulate debris of all kinds!
Regards, Tim

cabbage

Tim,
What I am looking for are a collection of common pitfalls and problems. Added to this the things that "should have worked" -but didn't!

Stories of things that went wrong...

I could cite the case of the curve behind the summer house - which you and Dave corrected with a sledgehammer...

Things like that!!!

Regards

Ralph

Very basic details of the Southurst Extension Railway are as follows:-

it is situated near the Chelmsford area of Essex, and has a route in a continuous level circuit of approximately 5 chains. All curves, at least on the main circuit, are of 16ft radius.

There is one fairly long cutting which used to be have the problem of collecting leaves, so at the first sign of leaf drop I now cover it with sections of rigid roofing material, which can be easily and quickly removed before running in the Autumn and Winter months.

We have made the steaming bay to be of convenient working height, and arranged so that locomotives and trains have direct and easy access to the main running line. (Particularly useful in the case of coal-fired engines.)

Hope that this info is of some use.
Robert. 492.

cabbage

That is exactly the sort of thing we need! Keep it coming!!!

Regards

Ralph