Author Topic: Dummy Rivets.  (Read 250 times)

Offline 492

Dummy Rivets.
« on: July 05, 2018, 12:23:44 PM »
I have a rather nightmarish problem regarding the fitting of dummy rivets and would be most grateful for any advice.

I am fitting-out the body of a Bulleid-Raworth electric locomotive. and need to fit approx. 1700 dummy rivets in the sides. The sides of are double skinned steel , so the dummy rivets need to fit into holes of 32nd of an inch or about 0.8mm into 18 gauge steel (Depth 1.2mm where the hole meets the double side.)

It is not practical to drill through the double thickness so that I could use a normal 32nd rivet,nor is it practical to cut 1700 rivets to1.2mm length.

Has anyone got a solution, or should I just let paint run into the holes so that the rivets are identified by a small depression. I have to say that a rivet head does look rather better than that.

I would be most grateful if anyone could offer advice. Thanks in anticipation.

Robert. 492.

Offline John Candy

Re: Dummy Rivets.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 02:14:33 PM »
Robert,
If faced with a similar situation (and assuming you can access the inside of the skin which holds the rivets) I would experiment with applying a layer of Isopon P38 on the inner surface, such that a small amount is squeezed through the holes. If you do this carefully, a domed head will naturally form on the outer surface. I have not done this to form rivets but have observed (when filling small holes) that the  resulting effect looks like small rivets before being sanded smooth.
Not an ideal solution but a lot easier than trying to handle tiny brass rivets.
Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline 492

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »
Thanks John, but the inner skin stops access to the bottom of the hole.

Robert.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 02:48:12 PM »
Robert,
This will sound as tedious as the brass rivet method but may be simpler to apply.
Get some plastic rod (Slaters offer it in various sizes), dip the end in CA superglue, feed end into hole, clip off just above the outer surface and repeat. When glue has totally hardened it will be easy to use a fine grit paper on a sanding block to get a uniform depth to the projecting faces of the rod. Will not be "domed" but better than holes!
Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline IanT

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »
"It is not practical to drill through the double thickness so that I could use a normal 32nd rivet, nor is it practical to cut 1700 rivets to 1.2mm length."

Hi Robert,

Whilst 1,700 is quite a large quantity (and just the rivets alone will cost you about £85) a number of jigs have been published over the years to help ease this problem. The simplest consists of two plates that bolt together - one a 'backing' plate and the other a 'holding' plate. The holding plate consists of a piece of metal the same thickness as the desired length of the rivet - with say 10 to 12 (1/32nd) holes drilled in it. The rivets are dropped in, the backing plate secured and then a sharp cold chisel used to slice across the face of the holding plate. After the 'cut', a file run over the top surface should help deburr the rivet ends and let them drop free when released. Ideally the backing plate would have some 'dimples' to help protect the rivet heads. I might also attach a bar on the bottom to enable the jig to be quickly dropped in the vice and held. It's probably one of those things where you could do a few hundred at a time, spread over a couple of weeks.

Having cut your 1,700 rivets to size - you still have to attach them of course....    :-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline 492

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »
Thank you so much Ian and John.
I am going to have to give this a lot of thought. Gluing in and sanding off plastic rod seems a possibility. Whatever I do it will be very tedious. I even tried cutting dressmakers' pins to size, which is cheap and looks OK but still a very trying job. It reminds me of the Bruder Grimm fairy tales of my childhood and the sort of task suitors were given!

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 09:49:25 AM »
You can buy dummy rivets on a strip of transfer film. Maybe you could ignore the holes or fill them andapply the transfer over the top?  When I say'transfer' the rivets are embossed and truly 3D.

In my youth I also added rivets to entire 4mm engines buy punching them in plastikard using a tool, slicing them off with a knife and gluing them onto the engine.

Offline 492

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
Thanks Mike.

This sounds a  bit easier! I'll try to search where I can get them.

Robert.492.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »
Web search for "Archer rivets".

Andy

Offline 492

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »
Thanks Andy. Off to Google.