• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

L&Y pug wheels diameter

Started by hornbeam, Aug 17 2018 15:50

« previous - next »

hornbeam

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea where I can get drawings on the L&Y pug? At this stage I'm just really after the driving wheel diameter and it's overall width as I maybe building a loco loosely based on it.

Thanks.

IanT

Yes, some kind soul copied the GAs for me a few years back - so I have them somewhere...

Just on the way out but will find them and check the wheel dimensions for you later this evening...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

hornbeam

LankyTank

Wheels - 3ft diameter, disc.

Width over footplate - 7ft 6inch

Somewhere, I've also got copies of the Pug drawings. Had them for so long, can't remember where they are.

There's the guy up in Northallerton (?) who's been advertising Pug drawings in the N/L.

Or beg/borrow/steal a copy of B C Lane's book Lancashire & Yorkshire Locomotives (he's also a member of the G3S)

HTH
Barry

IanT

I've had a look at the partial (as it turns out) drawings I have and they give the wheel diameter as 3ft & 3/8th" (allows a bit of wear  :) ) - which scales at 22.6 to 41mm (well 40.88 to be pedantic). The width of the tyre is 5.7" which scales to 6.42mm (but I'd simply use the G3S standard here at 6.8mm).

Barry's L&Y book is an excellent source of L&Y locomotive information - certainly the best I'm aware of. However, it covers a lot of engines and the 'Pug' description only runs to six pages - but there are side and sectional drawings that could probably be enlarged for modelling use. Another good source of Pug photos is 'Locomotives Illustrated No 122' - which has six pages of L&Y Pug photos (there are other variants of "Pugs" from all four grouping companies covered). Of course the Internet is also a wonderful photo resource too...

I've remembered that the kind soul who copied the drawings (motion plate area) for me was the late Dave Lowe - but of course Barry Lane is a member of G3S and might well have access to further L&Y Pug detail if you contact him.

I hope this helps - even if you are only "loosely" baseing your model on the L&Y Pug...     ;)

Regards,

IanT 
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

hornbeam

That's great thanks. I have a spare LGB motor block that GRS used on their Peckett so it could be used for this. Won't be for a while yet as a few other things in the que!