• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Anyone want cheap motor gearbox units?

Started by Peaky 556, Aug 21 2018 09:23

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

Baring all my secrets, this is how it works 😲. 

The big gear and the intermediate shaft run in ballraces, the motor shaft runs in its own bronze bushings.
When the HP version comes along, all gears will be metal.
Regards, Tim

Richard T

Very impressive Tim, could be in the market for 4 0ff.
Richard

wolfstone

I would be interested in at least one of the smaller units.
Thanks for the work on these so far.

Tim

Peaky 556

'Morning all,
Can I ask Ian, Richard, Tim and Keith what axle sizes they would be using?  The choice is 1/4" or 8mm.
And anyone else of course, whilst I am making up the first batch.
Many thanks, Tim

Richard T

Richard

wolfstone

1/4 inch for me please Tim and I'll take 2 please.

Tim Dearman

Richard T

Tim, any clues to the price yet ?

Richard
Richard

Peaky 556

I'm pleased to say the assembly and testing of production units has started and a price is set.
Per LP gearbox unit, user to specify for axle of either 1/4" or 8mm, £36.
Discount of 10% for Gauge 3 Society members applies.
Add Postage with insurance:
Up to 2 units £5 (Royal Mail)
3 or 4 units £7.50 (Hermes)
Please PM me for queries or orders.
Thank you, Tim

Peaky 556

Production unit with Allen key supplied for fastening to user axle.

John Candy

Tim,
In the expectation that (at some future date, when the Aristocraft gears may fail) I shall need to build new power bogies for the "Flying Banana", please put me down for two with 1/4 inch axles, which I will collect at the AGM (I will pay by bank transfer now, to help with the cash flow).
Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

Quote from: John Candy on Nov 27 2018 20:35
Tim, 
please put me down for two with 1/4 inch axles, which I will collect at the AGM (I will pay by bank transfer now, to help with the cash flow).
Regards,
John.
John,
Thank you for your kind offer, but worry not, pay on collection at the AGM.  I shall bring two with your name on.

That goes for everyone who wants a gearbox at the AGM, I just need a firm order please.  Alternatively I will post out now.

Thanks, Tim

Richard T

Can you put me down for 4 off please Tim ?   (1/4" shaft)

Richard
Richard

keith Bristol

Hi...
Ill take 6 of for dmus.. not sure what axle.. anyone help

Peaky 556

Quote from: keith Bristol on Nov 29 2018 19:32
Hi...
Ill take 6 of for dmus.. not sure what axle.. anyone help
Hi Keith,
You mentioned you would be re-bogieing your DMUs, so does that mean you would be re-using the existing wheels and axles, or buying new?  Check your axle diameters if the former, or I'd suggest looking at Slaters or GRS range of disc wheels with 1/4" axles, to see if the wheel diameters you want are listed.  Doddy's chart of correct wheel sizes may help you here.  Or you maybe turning up your own wheels, in which case the options are both open to you...
Choices, choices! 😀
Rgds, Tim

Doddy

GRS wheels in the main are commisioned items from Slaters, so for those items 1/4" axle needed. Although Slaters nearest wheel size for a BR DMU is G3122, a 3' 1" 3 Hole Disc Wagon Wheel which may not have been used by Keith.

All British Railways 1st generation DMU wheel diameters are 3' 0" on 8' 6" bogie centres.
"You don't know what you don't know"