• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Anyone want cheap motor gearbox units?

Started by Peaky 556, Aug 21 2018 09:23

« previous - next »

John Candy

Slaters wagon/coach wheels can have a tendency to "slip" on their axles under stress ..... it is very easy to turn the wheels to align the spokes on the wagon wheels. I would therefore be wary of using them for a powered wheelset but superglue may (possibly) help.
My preferred option would be to turn steel wheels (non-insulated) and Loctite them onto steel axles.
Malcolm Fisher (Peartree Engineering, near Diss) produced the wheels for my Sentinel 100HP project at reasonable cost and I would recommend him and will probably use him if/when I need to re-wheel the Flying Banana.

http://modelrailwayparts.com/parts_wheels-only.html

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

MikeWilliams

Tim,

You may not want to answer this in public at this time, but before plunging in, will there be much difference between this LP unit and the planned HP unit?

Miike

Peaky 556

Mike, I'm happy to explain in any depth you like!  The HP unit will be more expensive owing to the exclusive use of brass and aluminium gear wheels, a more expensive motor, and more time needed for gear machining and assembly.  I think in components it uses about £7 more in parts and so with increased time too I'm expecting something nearer to fifty quid.  I haven't assembled the prototype yet, been rather busy on other things including assembling the LP units, but I'll post a price when I do!
As for performance, the 5-pole motor is the same as used by member Eddie to pull eight Kingscale coaches recently at Graham's track.  He uses two motors in the tender of his 'Hall' and reported that very little 'opening of the regulator' was required.  it's stall current is about double that of the LP units, and so what with potential to use higher voltages of up to 18V, there is about 2-3 times the power of the LP unit.
I'd add that, whilst anyone could make up their own transmission using this motor (eg Eddie uses a combination of rubber bands, Meccano bits and gears), the HP item I shall offer for sale will be a compact and self-contained unit that will hang on the axle, taking up little space in a bogie (or tender for that matter) and not impacting on any other parts of say an existing loco.
Hope that answers some questions!
Best wishes,
Tim

MikeWilliams

Answers all my questions thank you Tim.  And convinced me that the LP unit is more than enough for my needs.

Thank you.

Mike

Peaky 556

Quote from: John Candy on Nov 30 2018 08:11
Slaters wagon/coach wheels can have a tendency to "slip" on their axles under stress ..... it is very easy to turn the wheels to align the spokes on the wagon wheels. I would therefore be wary of using them for a powered wheelset but superglue may (possibly) help.
Regards,
John.
John, just wondered if you have actually experienced any "slip" as you describe in practice?  The axle and wheel sets that I possess are certainly able to be dismantled by hand without tools, by twisting the wheels off, but my impression is that it is not "easy", as quite a lot of torque must be applied.  I know I boast about my motor-gearbox units, but they're not that poky! 🤪
Rgds, Tim

Richard T

Another question Tim, could you tell me the motor shaft diameter please ?

Richard
Richard

cabbage

At this time of night my eyes are bad but the calipers say 3.2mm for the SME motor.

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

QuoteJohn, just wondered if you have actually experienced any "slip" as you describe in practice?  The axle and wheel sets that I possess are certainly able to be dismantled by hand without tools, by twisting the wheels off, but my impression is that it is not "easy", as quite a lot of torque must be applied.  I know I boast about my motor-gearbox units, but they're not that poky! 🤪
Rgds, Tim

Tim,

I haven't used Slater's wagon or coach wheels "under power" so my warning was based on the fact that I have found it easy to turn wheels on their axles. In fact, on some wheel sets (used under wagons), I have superglued the wheels to axles because they were not a very tight fit.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

Thanks John, it's a fair cautionary note if using Slaters wheelsets that have become "slack" through repeated removal and refitting of wheels on the axle.  A drop of Loctite works wonders!  However I don't expect this problem to occur.

LP Motor-Gearboxes are available for posting, so don't leave it too late for your partner to get you something quite unique for Xmas!

🚉?? Tim

Peaky 556

Hello folks,
I'm going to be getting pretty tied up on domestic matters, Christmas, tax returns (😫) etc soon, so if anyone would like some LP units from this first batch, let me know soon for posting before Xmas.
Many thanks, Tim

Peaky 556

Quote from: Peaky 556 on Dec 02 2018 15:41
I'd add that, whilst anyone could make up their own transmission using this motor (eg Eddie uses a combination of rubber bands, Meccano bits and gears), the HP item I shall offer for sale will be a compact and self-contained unit that will hang on the axle, taking up little space in a bogie (or tender for that matter) and not impacting on any other parts of say an existing loco.
Tim
To help you decide if the HP unit will fit in your bogie (or tender), here is the dimensioned outline:

Peaky 556

Morning all and Happy New Year!
There has been some progress with the HP unit; the first prototype was assembled and tested last night.  It shows promise by being almost impossible to stall by gripping a wheel, especially at 18v. 
As a reminder this is designed for faster/heavier trains, easily capable of 90mph and eight coaches if twin HP units are used.
A second one may be assembled today, if time permits before our holiday.  These first two are destined to be fitted to my faithful test bed "Hillock" 😁.
Here are the prototypes of the HP and LP units:

For comparison of size, the small one has 37" coach wheels and the larger has 45" diesel wheels.
Tim

Peaky 556

I managed to squeeze in assembly of the second HP unit, HP02 believe it or not!  Here it is laid bare to the world. 

. It is running-in on the test bed as I write.
Well our holiday is almost upon us, so, to avoid trouble, I had better go and get packing!
See you at the AGM 😁
Tim

Doddy

Tim,
I'd like to 'like' your posts but unfortunately the 2019 pictures appear to be set for G3 Society Members or Members of the public only...

I get a message bar coming up stating these pictures are for G3 Society Members only, but can see them via my mobile which does not log me into the forum.

John?
"You don't know what you don't know"

John Candy

Bob,

I cannot see any reason why you are unable to view the images.
Are you able to send me a "screenshot" of the message you are receiving?
I am able to view them even as a "guest" (i.e. not logged in).

Regards,
John.

P.S. Is this the only thread for which you are unable to see images?