Author Topic: Tender Comparisons.  (Read 724 times)

Offline John Candy

Tender Comparisons.
« on: Jul 25 2018 15:07 »
Just to illustrate some of the great variety of GWR tender types (for those who think GWR designs are boring and all the same), here are the two currently in my collection.

To the left is a 2,500 Gallon Dean type (as updated in the 1930's and modelled on No. 1273, being that attached to preserved Dean Goods No.2516) while, to the right, is a Churchward 3,500 Gallon type (again as updated in the 1930's and, with a rare Collett "scalloped" underframe, being modelled on preserved No. 2376, as attached to preserved 2-8-0 No 2818).

The 2,500 tender is attached to my 2301 Class Dean Goods No.2568 (built from a modified GRS brass kit) and the, completed just today, 3,500 tender (the shell and underframe built from Walsall Model Industries etched brass parts with much "custom" detailing added to suit loco No.3406 "Calcutta").

The larger tender is in the mid-1930's art deco "shirtbutton" livery : The full size emblem was a transfer (rather than painted on) and, on tenders with prominent domed rivets, was offset from the usual central position, to avoid problems fixing the transfer over rivets. On flush-riveted locos, the emblem was in the usual centralised position. It was sometimes the case (according to one source I have read) that any domed rivets which would otherwise prevent central location of the transfer would be ground flush. As with many minor details, practices varied between different  GWR "Factories" (works).

On the drawing board are a 3,000 Gallon Dean tender (to accompany a 2251 Class Collett Goods) and another (slightly different to No.2376) 3,500 Gallon Churchward tender (to accompany a 43XX Mogul).

All the GWR locos will (eventually) be seen running on "Monkton Priors" and will make a welcome change from the more commonplace 45XX Prairies, 57XX Panniers and 48XX/14XX 0-4-2 auto tanks, so frequently seen on G3 layouts.

John.

« Last Edit: Sep 22 2019 23:11 by John Candy »
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

(More)Tender Comparisons.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24 2019 10:33 »

More GWR variety....this time a Dean 3000 gallon in "modernised" (1930's) condition.
Thanks to Mike "753", who kindly agreed to produce a second tender, in addition to that for "Truro", I now have a suitable tender to attach, eventually, to a 2251 class (Collett Goods).

The 3000 gallon tender is quite distinctive, in having the leading handrails flared out to the extremities of the running plate. The 3000 gallon came in two running plate widths being 7ft 8ins and 8ft 3ins (the tank was the same width.. 6ft 6ins.. on both) to match the width of the loco to which they were attached, when first built. Over the years it became a case of "mix and match", since the first available tender (of suitable capacity) would be paired with a freshly "out-shopped" loco. Both widths were attached to 2251 class locos and my example is of the wider variety.

Pouring down outside today, so photos taken on the bench, seen as fresh from the paintshop last night.

By way of contrast (if only to prove there is life outside of Paddington), is a GNR tender, still under construction, to be paired with Roger McL's ("bolingbroke") Ivatt large Atlantic (LNER C1). This tender is fully-sprung, using cast brass spring/axlebox units supplied by Richard Toplis and detailed with brass turnings and resin castings by yours truly.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.