Author Topic: Re: On board brains  (Read 571 times)

Offline cabbage

Re: On board brains
« on: Sep 01 2018 13:08 »
The time has come to put down the soldering iron and stir the paint...

What originally started out as a black five has morphed into a Jubilee style locomotive... I think it looks drop dead gorgious in red primer and I have a (small) amount of genuine LMS Crimson Lake or a source of Coronation Scot "Markeaton Red"... I do not want to paint it black. Neither do I feel that I want "Brunswick Green", although I feel that I would accept that. My Son has suggested the railway is an parallel universe where 1949 never happened and I can have LMS painted locos in 1962(!)

Does anyone have an "out" ???

Regards

Ralph

Offline Doddy

« Reply #1 on: Sep 01 2018 15:00 »
It's your railway Ralph!

I do like it though, and you have a precedent for a red black five - and an 8F!  ;D

"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline cabbage

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16 2018 11:28 »
Having stirred the jamjar and thinned it with turpentine to 3 seconds...

I get this!!!

The second coat is drying and already the Lake is starting to look "black" as it is not returning a colour -just the glossy mirror. I have three more coats to do and then hope there is enough left to do the tender when I have built it...

Regards

Ralph
« Last Edit: Feb 01 2019 09:55 by John Candy »

Offline Sleeper Agent

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01 2019 01:20 »
Found this thread a bit late but just to mention it an alternative to Brunswick would of been the Apple Green coat applied to one of the Black Five line up shortly after nationalisation.
https://www.stationroadsteam.com/5-inch-gauge-stanier-black-5-apple-green-livery-stock-code-2248/

Sticking with red there is this oddball as well ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HDxEUUxmzM

Anywho last photo of your scratch is looking quite nice I must say  :D

Offline cabbage

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01 2019 12:45 »
As my father would have said "There is the strange, the weird, the frankly unbelievable -and then there is reality..." Now if I had known of this before starting out I would have fealt a lot easier. Now I can save my little jamjar of paint for another couple of locos -which were also black!

Construction of the tender has had to be halted because of the season and temperature. No one in their right mind solders in a kitchen with a 6.6Kg tank and a  7kW propane torch!!!

But hopefully some progress during the spring. Currently the tank and track are buried under snow and frost.

Regards

Ralph