• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

C37 Details or even Drawings

Started by Peaky 556, Oct 11 2018 23:42

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

Hello all,
Can someone kindly point me in the right direction for some modelling details or even drawings of Class 37?
Last time when looking for Peak drawings I found the HMRS at Butterley helpful, but I'm under the impression that they've gone into hibernation.  I can't even find a copy of that potentially useful Modern Locomotives Illustrated booklet on C37, so does anyone have another useful book title to suggest please?  I have contacted the Class 37 Loco Group and am awaiting a reply.
Regards, Tim

cabbage

Tim,
Yes I have! Plus a bag of Goji Berries...

Regards
Ralph

Paultro

I have 'Class 37's at Work' by Michael J. Collins.

Good selection of photos and drawings, details of liveries and bits & bobs.

Paultro

Just checked Ebay and there's a few on.

Cheapest at 99p but it's up in 8 hours

Peaky 556

Thank you for the tip Paultro; I have bid and won it! I'm looking forward to a good read👍
Regards, Tim

Peaky 556

I have borrowed a PDH drawings book from Ralph (thank you again) of BR Diesel Locos Classes 15 to 67.  Whilst there are line drawings of complete locos at 4mm scale with leading dimensions, when it comes to measurements of many required features such as bogies, ventilation grills, windows, etc, etc, it would need to be a scaling exercise.
I await delivery of the 'Class 37s at Work' book, but I suspect this may also leave many questions unanswered.
So the general question to all is whether this kind of scaling-up exercise is generally thought adequate, or should I spend a few hours with a very long tape measure at a heritage railway somewhere?

Doddy

Quote from: Peaky 556 on Oct 20 2018 15:58should I spend a few hours with a very long tape measure at a heritage railway somewhere?
Unless you can get detailed drawings from the class 37 group you mentioned earlier, then Yes!
"You don't know what you don't know"

cabbage

Tim,
You can order specific drawings from PDH in any scale. I have the NBL gas turbine drawings at 13.5mm scale...

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Unless I have it wrong, PDH drawings are outline only and do not provide the detail of the internals of the bogie design.

cabbage

Robert,
The bogie design is a standard Kraus Schmitt double sprung arm type. Both the fore and aft arms piviot at the central axle horn guides side. There is nothing especially rare or exotic about them.

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

That description does not really matter, Eddie and Tim need accurate three dimensional drawings which I do not believe PDH supply.

Peaky 556

Thanks for the interest and support guys, but it seems I need to chase up that Class 37 Loco Group.  I'll keep you posted if and where I obtain any decent dimensional info.   
Rgds, Tim

Peaky 556

The 'Class 37 at Work' book has arrived and this is a very good read, lots of technical description and historical decision-making rationale, etc, etc.  I would recommend it as promoting what seems to be a very highly-thought of, high power to weight and long-lived loco design.  What I still don't have though are dimensioned drawings, although there are a some very good line drawings in about 'O' scale.
A few body drawings are beginning to filter through from a more official archive source, and I have now mass-mailed every official in the C37LG to try and elicit a response!
Rgds, Tim

Doddy

Hello Tim,

At 5" gauge and not to scale either, this is twice the G3 design you need but offers an interesting treatise on Class 37 bogies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de7GMOTtVRA

cabbage

I admit I did wonder about the holes in the sides  of the axle boxes. But it does seem to be a good way of suspension.

Regards

Ralph