Author Topic: Nominations for the Dave Lowe Award.  (Read 751 times)

Offline John Candy

Nominations for the Dave Lowe Award.
« on: Oct 30 2018 10:03 »
The Dave Lowe Award Shield is presented each year at the AGM of The Gauge 3 Society, following voting by Society members and by the members of this Forum (the award having been funded through the forum, in memory of member "454", a very active forum contributor).

The time for nominations is upon us again and nominations are invited, which are to be in accordance with the criteria stated in the documentation, which can be found at :-

http://lakes-pages.com/Dave_Lowe_Award.pdf .

Reply to this message or (if you prefer) send a message to me admin@g3forum.org.uk with your nomination, stating the basis for the nomination.

John Candy
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

Re: Nominations for the Dave Lowe Award.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02 2018 22:56 »
Reminder : The closing date for nominations is November 15th.

To date three nominations have been received:-

Tim Gleed-Owen (for work on proposed motor bogie kit)
Nick Baines : Article on building an Adams LSWR 4-4-0, Newsletter issue 114 p.8
Jim Clement : LNER V2 Featured in G3 Society Newsletter 111, Winter 2017, pages 20-21

More nominations are invited: Reply to admin@g3forum.org.uk

John Candy

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

Reminder : Nominations for the Dave Lowe Award.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12 2018 22:04 »
The closing date for Nominations is Midnight on 15th November.

The only nominations so far received are listed above.

More nominations are invited: Reply to admin@g3forum.org.uk

Offline Traininvain

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13 2018 15:31 »
Just to remind people of Jim Clement's excellent electric powered V2

This is an extremely hard protoype to model and Jim has captured it's spirit beautifully. He has had no formal experience as a modeller and his work in G3 is truly worthy of this award.

Ian

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13 2018 22:05 »
To be even-handed perhaps there should be a similar write up about the other nominees.  I note the rules say:

(the) Award shall be presented for the best model based on one of the following :
a) An electric, diesel or gas turbine locomotive design (or multiple-unit/railcar of
similar propulsion), built by the award nominee.
b) An item of rolling stock or railway infrastructure which would meet the description
"modern image", in the normally accepted interpretation of that term.

UNQUOTE

Offline John Candy

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14 2018 00:11 »
When I saw Ian's "promotion" of the V2, I had two concerns.

Firstly, it does not meet the primary criteria (as quoted by Mike) and it would struggle to meet the secondary criteria (as per section "3" of the rules).

Secondly, as Mike points out, it could give one nominee an unfair advantage over the others.

On the first point, I discussed this with Roy Horrocks a couple of weeks ago and we agreed that strict interpretation of the rules should be waived, since there are no "primary" category contenders and we were (and are) struggling to secure nominations. Hopefully, the "modern image" ethos of the award will be taken into consideration when the votes are being cast and the most appropriate subject will take the award.

I would draw attention to the post made today by Tim Gleed-Owen which provides more information on the subject matter of his nomination...see

http://g3forum.org.uk/index.php/topic,2204.msg14411.html#msg14411

John.
« Last Edit: Nov 14 2018 09:17 by John Candy »

Offline John Candy

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16 2018 00:19 »
The closing date for nominations has now passed.

Three nominations have been received:-

Tim Gleed-Owen (for work on proposed motor bogie kit)
Nick Baines : Article on building an Adams LSWR 4-4-0, Newsletter issue 114 p.8
Jim Clement : LNER V2 Featured in G3 Society Newsletter 111, Winter 2017, pages 20-21

Voting is open and can be made either by email to admin@g3forum.org.uk or by following the instructions which will appear with a voting form in the December Newsletter of The Gauge 3 Society.

Voting is open to members of this forum who are not members of the Society.
Society members, please provide membership number when voting by email.

Thank you,
John Candy.