• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Vintage Southern Large Scale Models.

Started by 492, Nov 03 2018 17:08

« previous - next »

An intriguing item has appeared in the Vectis Auctions newsletter today. (Unfortunately I can't seem to manage to put a link here.)

They are asking for information on what appears to be very nice large scale models of a Southern C0 C0 loco and a 5car EMU (Looks like a 6CIT or a 6PUL)

Any one any ideas? Put the link here if you can.

Robert. 492.

MikeWilliams

Doddy

Quote from: MikeWilliams on Nov 03 2018 17:57
I hope this works:

https://www.vectis.co.uk/help-wanted

Mike

Yes it does Mike,

More than that, once you 'right click' on each photo and download them to your PC, they are in hi-resolution.

Even though one of the EMU centre caoches has split from it's bodyshell, the detail in construction is something to behold for Southern Electric fans. I would like to know much more about the method of motorisation for the Class 70 locomotive though.

Bob

"You don't know what you don't know"

Doddy

Quote from: 492 on Nov 03 2018 17:08
An intriguing item has appeared in the Vectis Auctions newsletter today. (Unfortunately I can't seem to manage to put a link here.)

They are asking for information on what appears to be very nice large scale models of a Southern C0 C0 loco and a 5car EMU (Looks like a 6CIT or a 6PUL)

Any one any ideas? Put the link here if you can.

Robert. 492.

Robert,

The more I study the hi-res photos, the more your post does you justice, the methods of construction and detail you can observe are sublime considering their age. 10/10 for posting!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

"You don't know what you don't know"

Thanks for all your help and interest. I'd love to know the history of these items, as would Vectis.

I already have the Southern C0 C0 well under way, but I'd rather like to have the 6CIT (in G3) to go with my 4SUB and 2Hal.

Robert. 492.

Further to my previous entries above, I am now very pleased to say that I managed to purchase all three G3 SR items from the Vectis Auction House.  Reputably, but not verified, as being built by Southern Railway apprentices, the lots comprise of (a) Bulleid/Raworth C0 C0 Electric Locomotive, (b) 4 Car EMU of CIT or PUL type, and (c) the underframes and motors for a 4 Car EMU, probably a 4LAV or 4SUB. All these models were constructed to draw 24V DC from a third rail as in the prototype. I will be collecting them in mid April.

I shall need to think very carefully about how they can be conserved and restored without spoiling their originality.

Robert. 492