Author Topic: No Mr Bond - I expect you to die...  (Read 1849 times)

Offline cabbage

Re: No Mr Bond - I expect you to die...
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04 2018 21:15 »
Ian - slight technical correction... It does not have a four core cpu but four Xeon cpus.

I run Debian 9.5 Linux on it. I normally refer to it as a Linux Engine rather than a PC(!)

Regards

Ralph

Offline IanT

« Reply #16 on: Dec 04 2018 22:43 »
I stand corrected Ralph!      :-)

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline cabbage

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16 2018 19:24 »
After a week of burning pieces of scrap ply I think I have developed an empirical rule for my 2W laser(?)

At a cutting speed of 5,000mm/S and 5% power will produce a cut 0.5mm deep.

Compared to the rhythmic weaving of the reprap the laser twitches and scoots around madly. I have not yet tried it with the laser etching sheet, but I will have to do soon!

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #18 on: Jan 27 2019 09:33 »
The firmware loaded onto the laser cutter has had to be tweeked a bit and a few of the settings either scrapped or set to zero! BUT I now have a reliable machine that I can trust to cut pieces (slowly but surely) out of cardboard. The next step seems to be using laser ply -which is thinner than the cardboard but more expensive than old cornflakes packets!!!

Regards

Ralph

Offline IanT

« Reply #19 on: Jan 27 2019 10:07 »
Be interested to see some examples at the AGM if possible Ralph - carriage framing detail comes to mind as being a great application for this technology. I can cut thick ply well enough if needed (mostly straight line cuts) but flimsy/thin (lots of rounded corners etc) detail is difficult and takes time. I've previously thought about a 'craft cutter' of some kind but still wasn't convinced it would work well enough on thin ply...

Regards,

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline cabbage

« Reply #20 on: Jan 27 2019 10:52 »
Well ok! This is the test run for a SR EMU...

The internal profile, the support triangles and the other bits are shown just having left the cutting table. The elapsed time for the cut is 25 mins. The cut is at 100% wih a cutting speed of 200mm per minute. This used a PNG file and is cut using raster mode.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #21 on: Jan 27 2019 14:35 »
This is the rear of the SR EMU that is slowly drawn. (It might ring a bel)... The spacing between the uprights of the door framing is a bit close, and might be down to the focus of the laser? But hopefully it shows how layers can be appliquied to the initial side doors and windows.

I do have some drawings for window frames and the windows to fit in them. The more I read this the more lazy I feel that I am becomming!!!

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #22 on: Feb 02 2019 12:41 »
Ha ha ha! Everybody laugh!!!! I normally use raster mode which is slow and gives a slightly wobbly edge. This morning I tried laser mill mode... The coolant fan for the laser blew all the pieces around and neatly cut through the pieces that had blown on top of others....

In future I will stick to raster.

Regards

Ralph