• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Useful tools........ if you can remember how to use them!

Started by John Candy, May 18 2019 11:48

« previous - next »

John Candy

Well, I haven't yet had cause to use mine, so cannot comment but I am not encouraged by your experiences!

I bought the combined unit to save space : Just as well my separate slip rolls, shear and bending brake have been stored away and not given away, as had been my intention.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

The shears will work for light materials John but will probably need adjustment (mine did) - I think I used a 2 thou feeler gauge to get the spacing right - there were (are?) various versions of the "manual" and this was only mentioned in one if I recall correctly. Also, there are quite a few small variations (various Chinese companies make them) on the basic design so some are better than others I believe.

I have an 18" version from Warco purchased some years ago - but must admit I don't use it that much.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

andrewfoster

Quote from: IanT on Jun 10 2019 15:09
The shears will work for light materials John but will probably need adjustment (mine did) - I think I used a 2 thou feeler gauge to get the spacing right - there were (are?) various versions of the "manual" and this was only mentioned in one if I recall correctly. Also, there are quite a few small variations (various Chinese companies make them) on the basic design so some are better than others I believe.

I have an 18" version from Warco purchased some years ago - but must admit I don't use it that much.

Regards,

IanT

That is interesting about the 2 thou gap - I don't think I saw it quoted before. The manual is sparse, to say the least of it. I had assumed that any clearance would cause the material to tear rather than shear neatly. Wide pieces, even in my usual .040" al. alloy, are enough to force the blades apart, despite the tensioning device. The problem may be that the 30" machine stretched the basic design too far, and despite the massive castings, it is too flexible.

As an aside, installing it was quite a performance. I had to do it single handed, and did it with a combination of scissor jacks to raise it in steps from the pallet while I built the bench under it. A time-lapse video would be hilarious, with numerous intervals for head-scratching, waiting for brain activity to resume.

IanT

Andrew,

Quite a few references state that it will shear 1mm (approx. 40 thou) mild steel but I think that is optimistic. The 'Grizzly' reference however gives it as Gauge 22 - or "its equivalent in other materials". That's 0.0299" (0.76mm) in MS - or 0.0253" (0.64mm) in aluminium

Regards,

IanT 
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.