Author Topic: Live Steam Unused Bonds of London pair of cylinders from 1930s  (Read 608 times)

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Online IanT

• Workshop Practice Adviser
Interesting - but there are usually better bargains at the AGM's 'Bring & Buy'   :-)

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
And the items on the bring and buy stall are all mine, mine, mine!!!!!!

Regards

Ralph

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
1.375in stroke seems a lot.  Was that normal for proprietary "scenic" models - i.e. not passenger carrying?

Mike

Online IanT

• Workshop Practice Adviser
Well they might not have been designed for 'scenic' use Mike. I cannot find a direct reference to anything that looks exactly like these cylinders but my Bond's materials are far from complete.

Their "standard" engines had external (Walschaerts) valve gear and the stroke is given as 1.1/16" (Ref BS 301/4). The actual cylinder size varies a little dependent upon drawing. The main Atlantic GA (BS300a) shows 1.1/16" stroke x 11/16" diameter cylinders, whereas the 'cylinder' drawing (BS305) I have shows 1.1/16" x 3/4". The bore 'length' is given as 1.5/8" on BS305. The parts list I have for my Atlantic also states the cylinders are 3/4" bore - so maybe this was changed at some point and the main GA was not updated.

The only external cylinders with internal valve gear I can find pictured (1962 Catalogue, p25, L60-61) are listed as 'standard' gunmetal cylinder castings - and the double cylinder is given as 3/4" bore and 1.1/8" stroke - and would have cost the grand total of £2 0s 0d a set back then (why didn't I stock up??). However they do not look like the cylinders on offer (different frame mounts & valve parts) but Bonds offered castings for various designs (LBSC etc) over the years - most of this well after 1930 of course. I could have a dig through old mags from that period but hopefully this is sufficient info for our level of curiousity...   :-)

Anyway, to answer your question - the numbers are in about the right ballpark and the Seller has probably measured the full piston movement (cover to cover) which will be a little more than the actual stroke.

And I'm still going to wait for the B&B at the AGM (assuming I can get there before Ralph that is!)

Happy New Year to everyone...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.