• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Bassett-Lowke LNWR "Experiment" 4-6-0

Started by John Candy, Jan 05 2019 14:08

« previous - next »

John Candy

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

Just needs a little love John!   :-)

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Compared to many you see for sale it is very complete and not expensive.  The carriages from the same seller and certainly collectibles rather than scale models, but they are very cheap at the moment.

Mike

IanT

This one is particularly unusual Mike - in that it's a spirit-fired engine with a clockwork (booster?) tender.

You don't see many of them at GTGs!   ;)

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Didn't sell so relisted £200 less.

This is now a lot cheaper than others I've seen for sale in recent years and anyone wanting a nice live steam engine for recommissioning could do a lot worse.  There are plenty of others around, so finding people with experience of them and finding parts etc shouldn't be a problem.

Mike

The old passenger carriages will be repaired and will the join the heritage rake on the Southurst Extension Railway.

Robert. 492.

AllWight

Talking of eBay sales it amazes me just how much some utter rubbish can go for.
If you don't believe me see the link below for a 00 loco kit of an SECR river class tank painted badly.
I know its the wrong scale for this site so please no comments about that i am merely illustrating the bizarreness of eBay

Mark

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113543415174?ul_noapp=true

MikeWilliams

I totally agree Mark.. I've sold several (non Gauge 3) locos which have been utter rubbish, for ten times what I felt they were worth, and yet sometimes a really nice model doesn't fetch much at all.

Mike

MikeWilliams

Looking at that River class again, I see only two people have bid at all, and at least one looks like an automated bid.  So maybe there are only two stupid people.

John Candy

I wouldn't be surprised if the purchaser were to default and it appears again as a re-listed item!
Nobody in their right mind would pay that sort of money for such a heap of junk (possibly bids via a "hacked" ebay account).

The kit is still available (from Finecast) in updated/improved form with etched brass chassis for under 100GBP and I doubt it would cost very much more than the Ebay price to pay someone to build it.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AllWight

I don't understand it either to be honest and i find it odd to think some crap can sell for a stupid amount whereas if i was to put up for sale a really nice model then i would get haggled or beat down on it????

Mark