Author Topic: Slaters Wooden PO wagons  (Read 4991 times)

Offline IanT

Re: Slaters Wooden PO wagons
« Reply #45 on: Nov 25 2019 23:50 »

I couldn't find this photo before when I was actually looking for it - but then of course, it turned up...

Nothing to do with Midland wagons (or c/sk bolts) I'm afraid. Just a shot I took at Fawley Hill a while ago. Not sure what the wagon is (was? - it's in quite a poor state) but it does show that often elusive interior detail, as well as the (now infamous) coach bolts - one of which can be clearly seen hanging at the top of the door hinge.

That's it  - I'll shut up now!   :-)

Apologies again for any confusion I've caused...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #46 on: Nov 26 2019 18:46 »
I've not bought one of these kits yet but, just to clarify, the bolt castings are all the right length?  or do you have to cut them off neatly to the right length?

Mike

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #47 on: Nov 27 2019 10:41 »
Mike
The bolt castings come on a sprue with some for the solebar and some smaller ones for the wagon strapping.  It doesn't matter about the length for the solebar bolts as the cut ends can't be seen. However, the smaller will need to be trimmed to the correct length or filed to length when in place.  The holes in the straps have been etched a little too large and once the bolt/nut casting has been put in place, may look a little odd as there is no head on the bolt to hide the edges of the hole on the inside.  I won't have this problem as I have bought some 16BA countersunk screws and nuts and will fit these to all of the straps hoping that paint, when I get to that stage, will fill the slots in the screws.  I'll save the nut and bolt castings for another project.  If it is planned that the wagon is to be filled with coal then, none of the above matters as all will be hidden by the coal.  Mine won't have a coal load hence the screws.

Jon

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #48 on: Jan 16 2020 12:19 »
If anyone has completed one of these yet can we please see some photos?  Slaters, with their exposure to other scales, has the potential to be the most important manufacturer in Gauge 3 and I really hope these are as good as they seem to be.

Mike

Offline LankyTank

• G3 Society Member
  • Old enough to know better, but I don't care.....
« Reply #49 on: Jan 16 2020 16:23 »
Mike

Got one of each type on the bench at the moment, currently inserting the 'nuts/bolts' into a plethora of holes in the strapping/wooden sides & ends & sole bars - it's not a quick job, especially as I keep feeding them to the carpet monster. Going right off the odour of CA. As Jon eluded to in an earlier message some of the holes have been slightly over etched and the 'nuts' fall into the holes so they have to be pull out to sit proud of the surface. Talking with David this appears to have affected the first (or an early) batch, be interesting to know if later batches are similarly affected..... anybody?

Early days yet but me & John T (or should that be John T & I) are trying to convince David that it would be a really, really, really good idea to do a long w/b L&Y open wagon, idea is that the Diagram 63, end & side door wagon could be relatively easy to convert into a Diag 55 side door only wagon (or that might be vice versa with the Diag numbers), same running gear on both & very little to modify for interchangeability. Anyway, as I say, early days...…

Trying to get something ready to bring along to the AGM.

Barry

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #50 on: Jan 16 2020 21:42 »
Thanks Barry.  Gary (of this parish) won't thank you for suggesting an L&Y wagon - he's just done springs, axleboxes and buffers for that and I am sure Slaters would do them all over again.

Mike

Offline LankyTank

• G3 Society Member
  • Old enough to know better, but I don't care.....
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18 2020 07:47 »
Don't think Gary will care one way or t'other...… But Gavin might be a bit miffed.....

Offline Gavin_B

« Reply #52 on: Jan 19 2020 10:13 »
win some lose some.

The more kits and parts the better.  Have just finished the L&Y goods buffers as well!

Gavin

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #53 on: Jan 19 2020 12:48 »
Here are a couple of pictures of my attempt waiting for it's transfers.  I don't think that I'm going to have much luck trying to get a transfer over that diagonal strap but never say never....
I was thinking about the buying of this wagon and I can't for the life of me remember exactly why I bought it.  May be a combination of things, not sure.

Jon

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #54 on: Jan 20 2020 15:22 »
Well, I had a go at applying the transfers and failed miserably so, I shall start putting the wagon back together without them.  Talking of the Midland transfers as supplied with the kit, and I'm no expert, I think that the M and R are too big.  The photos in R J Essery's Midland wagon book Volume 1, show the initials as three planks high whereas the Slaters overlap the three planks by a third.  At least, the transfers that I have do.

Jon

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #55 on: Jan 23 2020 15:08 »
Here is the finished wagon sans transfers.  I did take the brake rod etch apart, cleaned up the rods and reassembled them as separate rods.  I also used one of Mike William's brake actuators to make the brakes work.

Jon

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #56 on: Jan 23 2020 15:09 »
This should be with the above post

Jon

Offline AshleyW

« Reply #57 on: Apr 29 2020 18:28 »
i'm having the same trouble with the bolts, they look as if when painted they will not be noticed, and yes some even drop through the strapping as the hole is a bit big. i've been adding the strapping first using pins to locate in place and then clamping the strap and pulling the pins out before glue cures. 16ba bolts sound a bit too finnicky for me, as i struggle with 14ba on keeper plates. i am even tempted, not being too particular about fine detail to even cut the pins to length and use them looking like a coach bolt? here's a pic of the tiny bolt head, next to the pin head.