• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

2019 AGM

Started by cabbage, Feb 24 2019 09:49

« previous - next »

cabbage

Well despite being picked up at the crack of dawn by a disgustingly bright and cheerful TGO(!) What surprised me was the amount of surprise I got at the cost of the equipment and the running costs.

I told IanT that the station cost £25 to print, I don't think it really registed until he saw the machine and software in operation. I printed Oleos as a "takeaway" these took around 25 mintes to print and cost 2p each.

I hope that people liked what I showed them!

Regards

Ralph

IanT

I was very surprised at how affordable the 3D print & Laser technology you were showing has become Ralph. Thank you for taking the time to demonstrate everything to me & others - it was very informative and certainly tempting. Whether I have the time to jump into yet another learning experience is probably more of a factor now than simple cost. I do think this type of technology will begin to shape the way modellers work in the future though...and having told Gavin B that I'll have some printed Pug springs and a smokebox door when they are available - it already is of course.

I also managed to nab a few bargains on the Bring & Buy stand and some nice bits of brass from the Gentleman selling such things on one of the tables. He also had some small 'mesh' screens that might just fit one of my projects nicely (20p each!). I didn't notice if the Ayesha II sold - but if it did, someone got a real bargain (unlike most stuff on eBay) it had a professionally built boiler and current boiler certificate. A very nice engine at a very good price and a lot of the hard work already completed.

On a personal note - thank you Brian (N2.5"GA Castings Officer) for putting up with my nit-picking ways and being very patient whilst I measured and mused on the sample wheel castings I'd asked to see. Unfortunately, none of them were quite right (7ft diameter, 22 spoke) for the loco I need them for, so I decided to stick with the existing ones. However, the new third cylinder castings for the F/Scotsman are sat here on the kitchen table whispering seductively - "Machine me, Machine me".... (I know John B - you told me not to do it but it had to be done I'm afraid....)   :D

Watching the tram engine "trundling" on 'Rundle' - I thought what a great practical demonstration of how wrong all those people are - who over the years have told me that G3 is too big for their garden. You'd need a really small garden not to be able fit a 'Rundle' in...Well done Geoff!   

Anyway, very good to see everyone and sorry if some G3S friends couldn't make it. Had a very pleasant time but was feeling a bit wacked towards the end. Took quite a few photos - not to Ted S standards I'm afraid, but should be a few that are OK. I have a family funeral to attend tomorrow but I will update the website with some photos and any other stuff next week all being well.

Regards,

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Traininvain

Brilliant AGM and exhibition and many thanks to those who spent so much time organising it and making it a reality. My only gripe (minor) is that it was a long way from home and not easily (or cheaply) accessible by rail ... Shame it was all over much too quickly!

For those who don't know, Ashley Wattam is the new Newsletter Editor - on condition that I offer design and publishing support, for a while anyway. So, if you have any pix, please send them to me and copy to Ashley unti we advise otherwise. He will select which pix will go into the Newsletter, but I will (for now) do all the cropping etc, required for publication.

Tx Ralph for you demo - didn't see it, but from the articles you've written, some really brilliant work. And many thanks to all those other exhibitors, demonstrators and traders for their really fab efforts. Loved that vintage stand and the fantastic new models, especially the hopper wagons by Geoof Rumble and the V2 by Jim Clements. Superb work everyone.

Totally agree with Ian T - 8 ft diameter circle able to take 4 and even 6 wheel locos - brilliant. This is surely 50% of what G3 is all about - small, tight radius industrial type standard gauge layouts that will fit into most houses, let alone gardens. Now I've seen that circuit Geoff - I want one in my office to play with when I get bored working on the computer!!!!

I have to say though that we really NEED a minimum 2 official G3 meets every year!

Tx to all

Ian

Roy

Hi Ian,

A second official G3S meet is possible, it just needs a group of members to organise it.

The Winter Show and AGM takes a lot of organising, so not fair to expect the same people to organise a second event, we need other members to come forward.

Regards,
            Roy
            Secretary, Gauge 3 Society

MikeWilliams

Do we not have several second events already - called Get Togethers?

Do you mean an indoor show?

Mike

cabbage

A second indoor show would be nice! Preferably somewhere local to me so that I can awaken naturally rather than having to arm six alarm clocks...

regards

ralph

John Candy

Question I would ask is, how much will it cost?
Halls like those booked for the AGM are not cheap to hire.

The G3S has not given one Penny towards the cost of Monkton Priors, they pleaded poverty and I was left to raise the funds.

As matters stand, the layout will probably never be completed....there is a "black hole" in the funding.

Not just that but, when and if completed, there becomes the question of transportation ...... to hire a single Transit-type van for a weekend costs around 400GBP and many will not hire to over-70s (insurance restrictions).

I would rank completing the G3S exhibition layout a higher priority than "splashing out" cash on exhibition halls.

That's my "tuppence worth" ... no doubt others will brand me a miserable old git!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Andy B

For members further north, Gauge 1 North has become an informal G3 meeting over the past few years.
The list of regular traders has a certain similarity to our event just passed: Uncommon kits, Peter Korzilius, Woodbury Models, Buxton Modelworks, Walsall model Industries, Cromford Designs, Ieuan Lewis.
In addition there is Barry (Metalsmith), and a variety of others with useful stuff for G3 modelling.

I believe that there has been the offer of having a G3 stand / demo / layout - I'll follow this up.

Andy

Traininvain

A G3 stand at G1 North would be great Andy if it's a possibility - count me in the help out. I could also bring along a model to display.

For those who haven't been to G1 North it's a terrific show, easy to get to, friendly and lot's of good trade support. And, as Andy says, it's become an informal G3 meeting ground with at least half a dozen members there every year.

Ian

MikeWilliams

Where and when is this G1 show please?

Mike

Doddy

13th July 2019 -  Gauge 1 North

Agricultural Business Centre, Haddon Road, Bakewell.  DE45 1AH Yorkshire Group with Ridings. 

Contact Peter Vincent, secretary@gauge1north.org.uk   
"You don't know what you don't know"

LankyTank

Gents

G1North happens every mid July at the Agricultural Business Centre, Bakewell (this year it's on the 13th) - unfortunately it's proved to be too popular & has grown to fill the available space. Not much chance to have a major G3 presence but there may be room for a 6ft table/stand, probably at a minimal cost. If this needs pursuing, let me know, I'm also a member of the Yorks Group of G1MRA - the organiser of G1North.

However, this years best kept secret is that there will be a significant presence at the G1MRA Spring show at Shepshed on the 13th April, where (I believe) Geoff N will be showing Rundle to a wider audience along with those traders who supply goodies to the G1 fraternity but also have a wider net that covers G3 - don't know what's happened with the G3 specific traders.

And while I was typing Doddy got in first..............

Mike W if you want this checked out, let me or John T know & we'll try & chase up the Trade organiser (I believe he's not the best organised person.....?!?!)   

There's a lot of talk going on regarding the inter-relationship between G1MRA & the G3S along with show attendance's , the current Show organiser for G1MRA is a forward looking type of person.

MikeWilliams

Quote from: LankyTank on Mar 03 2019 15:57
- don't know what's happened with the G3 specific traders.

Mike W if you want this checked out, let me or John T know & we'll try & chase up the Trade organiser (I believe he's not the best organised person.....?!?!)   

Thanks Barry.  I was asked by John.T last autumn whether we would go to Shepshed if it was opened up to a Gauge 3 audience too.  We were enthusiastic depending in date and cost, but then heard nothing at all and it all seems a bit late now.  Might be interested next year though.

Wasn't there talk on here a month or two ago about a new show north of Birmingham - did anything come of that?  Or was it Shepshed?

Mike

Andy Mould

Myself and Barry we're discussing a show in the Birmingham area, and we have an agreement with the Chasewater Railway that we can use their heritage centre for it at no cost, unfortunately this is on the basis that we would follow one of their other events after they clear the building of stock and ongoing projects as that can take some considerable effort on the part of the railway and not something they look to do very often, unfortunately their event planning was very delayed this year in being finalised so the feeling was it didn't leave enough time to organise a show. But the offer is still their for the future.

LankyTank

Mike W & others who have expressed an interest

What Andy Mould said - lack of momentum from various parties, and the clock, has beaten us for this year. Doesn't mean that it has gone away though.....