• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Wheels : Words of Caution.

Started by John Candy, Feb 26 2019 09:23

« previous - next »

John Candy

For a couple of projects I ordered 20 x W6 pattern driving/coupled wheels from the 2.5 Assocn and relied upon their catalogue description as published on n25ga.org .

They are listed as having crankpin between spokes and without balance weights.

Last night I unwrapped the wheels and found they have crankpin inline with spoke and do have balance weights!
They have W6 cast into the boss, so are not a selection error by Brian K (their very helpful castings officer).
I will now have to sort out what is to be done.

So, if you are thinking of ordering using the n25ga.org website descriptions, I suggest you ask Brian to check and confirm description is correct.

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

In real life and the Sanctions... If the wheel was remotely the right size it was used. This lead to some strange  lopping and hopping and such locos moved at low speeds - but they did move...

The Scullon Disc wheel was tried by several railways.

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

QuoteIn real life and the Sanctions

That must have been an interesting period for Rhodesia Railways!

(for those who don't know, Ralph was brought up in Southern Rhodesia during UDI ....the era of Prime Minister Ian Smith's rebellion.....when Britain enforced sanctions which eventually led to the creation of independent Zimbabwe and President Mugabe).

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Baguley

Hi John,

I'm sorry that you have had a problem with the wheels. I'm sure Brian will give you a full refund if they are of no use to you.

I thought that the mistake in the description could well have been mine but that particular page was carried over from the original website done many years ago by the late Gerald Chandler. I just copied it when I built the new website.

I will alter it of course to correct it but it is best to check with Brian before ordering as you suggest.

John
Member of North West Leicestershire SME
Secretary National 2½" Gauge Association

John Candy

Hi John,

Thank you for your response.
Shall be contacting Brian this evening to see what he proposes.
The person for whom I am building the locos has been informed and he needs to decide what substitutions to make.
The only alternatives to obtain absolutely correct wheels appear to be custom orders either through Mark Wood or Slaters. He may be willing to accept the Alan Headech wheels type 7518N (the crank pin position is inline and not between but at least there are no balance weights).

Regards,
John.