• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GCR Diagram 50 15 Ton Bogie fish van

Started by Andy Mould, Mar 14 2019 12:54

« previous - next »

Andy Mould

I have been suffering from project fatigue with some new kits I have been designing in G1 and following a discussion at the AGM show poked my grey cells had some down time and produced this in G3 as they say a change is as good as a break.

Not sure if it will ever be a commercial product as yet unless sufficient interest but it's been a nice think to make and it can go onto the back burner for a while while I get some other stuff off the bench.

John Candy

Impressive but the immediate question many will be thinking is, "how much?"
After that, they will be thinking, "this is a bodyline kit, where do I get the remainder?".

I know the answer to the second question but will leave that to someone else to decide whether they wish to be named.

Regards,
John.

P.S. Don't forget the strapping, etc. for my MR cattle wagon.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Andy Mould

Nor the instruction John, the Large MR Van is on the bench to be finished as I started it at the AGM and I will send you both.

As goes cost there is a lot of Laser time in that model so I suspect around the £250 area, I haven't worked out materials as yet.

One thing I am impressed with is the Masterclub resin bolts I have used I think they work well but may not be that commercial where vehicles have a lot of strapping.

Andy

The answer to making wagon strapping is simple.

Mark out the strapping on styrene sheet, with dividers mark the rivet centres, then punch the rivets with press, finally cut out the straps with sharp knife.

By punching the rivets in a whole sheet, you avoid distortion that will occur if you cut out the straps first.

Mike

Andy Mould

I supply laser cut strapping with my kits and 1/32" rivets to replicate the bolt heads, the laser cutting doesn't distort the plastic like cutting, but on the fish van I used some pins that have moulded nuts on them and to be honest I'm really impressed with the effect.