• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Arising from the smashes...

Started by cabbage, Mar 16 2019 09:35

« previous - next »

cabbage

I had thought that Erik, was recoverable from. When Freya struck, I knew I had to cancel. Since then the railway has been hit with Gareth and now Hannah...

The kitchen table has been populated by the remains of my model buildings. The garden populated by parts of other peoples buildings...

I am slowly repairing the models but some are beyond this - being hit by a fence panel in an 80mph gale is sort of terminal. But e-mails to Piko and others have produced the required missing parts and I have taken the opportunity to redesign and cusromise my models.

This was Rosenbach... Now altered to resemble the B.O.B country station(!)

Regards

Ralph

IanT

Sorry to hear this Ralph - I'm sure you will get it all fixed over time though...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

cabbage

I have a now "modified" Rosen bach signal box and I have just finished putting back together, with what could be found, the permanant way dept building. I now has an annex with a flat roof. The departmental Trabant is still under service and has been since they aquired it two and a half years ago...

The Brassica station was the worst hit, (literally), so in the morning I am going to have to see what is repairable and what I will need to print again... The footbridge will require some glue and de-twigging. It was found in my Medlar  bush.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

I knew it would be bad... The "shear" failures are several and dead easy to fix. Slop on more glue! However it is the  number of "twist" failures that are going to delay matters. The twisted parts have to be excavated from the model, new parts printed, glued into place and then painted to match.

This is a shear failure:

This is a twist failure:

As you can see once the parts have been excavated it will be an easy task of printing the replacements.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Most of the plastic kit buildings are now repaired or modded into different buildings. The vehicles are another matter though... The Trabant has been found and another set of doors for the garage fabricated from the window louvres left over. These are simple fixed angles and glued into position. The Citroen fourgon H van kit is a new replacement made by Heller and proved to be gar more difficult to make than the Revell kit original. The van will be delivering parts of fourgon to the parcels dept and garage... The London Taxis fleet is now down to one... But fortunately the Routemaster bus kit is still in the box! It will probably remain so until I can get all the "ferrari red" paint required...

I am working on kitbashing a Tamiya Toyoda AA kit into something that looks typically british bit very 50's. So using an Armstrong Siddley as my guide I now need to produce some fake parts for it. I will have to eject the asian gentleman driving it -he might have to wait on a station bench (?)

The Russian Gaz being metal simply stood in the rain. I will admit to liking it. It projects an aura of sublime menace, but you can tell that it is a governmental vehicle. The question being which department of the government...

This is a picture of the rebuilt garage.

cabbage

I think I am finally getting the better of things? I have given a new top coat of black paint to the exterior of the wooden plinth that holds Brassica. I have also had to help clean the nextdoors highly ungrateful cat of black paint... One of the supports for the east european station has been replaced. The securing screwa tore the top out of it when the platform base was hit by the blast.

I am now in a position to think about buying a hernia belt as the planks and timbers that will for the doubled up Great North Straight are hopefully drying on the lower raised veg beds. As I use "plank on post" I have got to order the posts (both 10 and 7.5cm sq) in 2.4m lengths, plus the metposts to hammer into the ground. This is always a problem for me... I live on the edge of the escarpment and soil depth is either good - or nonexistant!!! There are several metposts that had to be shortened with the angle grinder.

I am enjoying myself -honestly...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

The last epoxied parts are setting and at last the repair schedule is complete... My mantra has always been "make your models easy to work on" and as such this has been sucessful. Provided I could find where the storm winds had propelled the parts!!! Tomorrow I rebuild the "jig" to start making the straight baseboard parts from. I will need a total of six complete lengths and two "fudge pieces" to connect the dual line to the existing single line. The existing exit from the "drag strip" will connect to the inner section and the existing part to the outer section of the new dual line track. This will give a direct points free outer run from the start of the vinyard to the end of the Great North Straight. This will give people a scale mile to see what their loco is capable of!!! The CPR record is held by "Maude" at 118mph (scale) which is only 6mph (scale) than the original was clocked as doing (light engine) out of Buffalo to NY Central...

Once the six straight sections are complete it is then the turn(!) of the corner pieces. I have a feeling these will involve the production of several new volumes of swear words!!!!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

I have made three straight sections and bust my left knee... Still I am happy with the afternoons work. 

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

At this point  -I have five completed "straights" with the last one about to come off the "jig". I have run out of Torx screws and the next delivery will be midweek. This means that I have now -to start cutting the facets of the corner. The internal length of each facet has to be 60cm and the external length 63.5cm. They have to be made slightly larger than the existing facets to ensure that they fit "with a rattle" to enable glue and screws to bridge the gap. Making the facets is always a very boring long winded process...

I can make a straight 4.8m long in about 45 minutes, making a single facet is about the same time, and there are 18 facets to make. Each one has to harden over night on a flat surface to ensure that the glue hardens perfectly. THEN each facet has to be cut with a 5 degree angle fore and aft. The end pieces are screwed and glued in and it is then allowed to set overnight again!!! The pieces reduce from 18 to 9 to 4. Any more than that and the piece is just too big and heavy to hift and shift into place. If I am lucky with the weather I should be in a position to start installing the corner in a fortnight(?)

I have yet to order the "metposts" and wooden posts that will support the track bed sections. So what I am going to do is order a dozed "metposts"  and say five 2.4m long posts. I know that this is not going to be enough -but it will let me know how many I am short of completetion!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Work stops for today  with acute "Ow my back"  and "Agh my knees"... All six straights are complete and I have been able to build fourteen of the external sides to the facets that will make up the double track corner.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

The Brassica station parts that can be easily stuck together are setting in the kitchen. Most of the "ice lace" roof has survived but will require stripping down and repainting.  The reprap is printing the required parts as I type.

I do have a model awaiting installation of the widened GNS to sit at the ends of the track. This a scale "Building II" that was made to house "the twins" at Derby.

The Brassica station survived the four storms because the roof was not "glazed" -I think(?) This then beggars the question "should I glaze Building II"? I think I will follow my instincts and say " No"...

These are the parts before re-construction

And here the first pieces that have been stuck. (Two hour epoxy).

cabbage

Brassica roof is now under supervised repair. Thw platforms have been "filled" and repainted. The platform for the East European station has been mounted on its legs and given  a first coat of cheap white emulsion. This gives me something to draw on with a pencil to get the buildings in the right position. Roads and paths can be marked and the lines of fences have to be pencilled in. I will have to go ahopping in the morning for more "mid stone" masonry paint for it.

I made a new template for the 5° angle cut at the end of each piece of the facets for the curve. This was done with mathematics rayher than a protractor. I know with my eyesight I can "dot" to within 0.5mm with a rular. Could I get that accurate across a 195mm space -I sincerely doubt it!!!

So, it is out with the chp saw tomorrow morning.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Having got rid of the strange advert for Aluminium Hydroxide  :o You should now be able to see the initial station layout. The "mushroom" signal box, the main station building and the railway workshop...

Now to install the "vanity blocks" to help the buildings stay put and then start the main paintwork.

cabbage

Finally... All the repairs are done and I can return to building a railway(!)

The next step is precision measure and a 14lb sledgehammer.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Ok.... After having "prepared" everything for this years storm season - everything went as expected. Yes the green house roof panels were next door, and yes next doors fence panels totalled part of Brassica...

The part it totalled was the girder foot bridge.

I admit that as I scraped the pices together and put them on the drainer - I thought that I was looking at a total loss. However the only parts that require printing are the parts under the decking. These have been crushed flat. The other parts would seem to require a good scrape clean of the glue joints before re-assembly. So, I need to print four parts in total and stock up on UHU before the bridge can be returned to its former glory.

Regards

Ralph