Author Topic: Calcutta will be coming to Monkton Priors...eventually!  (Read 1068 times)

Online John Candy

No, not an Indian takeaway ... the clue is in the photo!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline cabbage

It is a giant "Bombay Blue Gin" transporter?

Regards

Ralph

Online John Candy

It is a giant "Bombay Blue Gin" transporter?

I really like that suggestion (made me smile) but I am sure you won't be surprised to hear that it isn't!

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline LankyTank

• G3 Society Member
  • Old enough to know better, but I don't care.....
Oooh, that'll be a bit GWR loco-ish then...……...

Online John Candy

Oooh, that'll be a bit GWR loco-ish then...……...

Give that man a cigar!

It can be narrowed down further .... the clue is in the image.

Regards,
John.

Offline LankyTank

• G3 Society Member
  • Old enough to know better, but I don't care.....
Don't know my GWR locos - but wasn't Calcutta of the Bulldog class (or, at least, one of them there 4-4-0 locomotives).

Online John Candy

but wasn't Calcutta of the Bulldog class

You have it!
No. 3406 (see image file name which was additional clue).

Regards,
John

P.S. More pictures soon .... remainder of the loco is a heap of bits at the moment but will soon come together once I get to work with the blow torch and 100W iron....the one that glows red!

Online John Candy

My "Calcutta" plates arrived today from Guilplates and they have done a superb job (as they always do).

I supplied them with the precise external radius of the splashers as measured from the model and they fit perfectly....... even the GWR green area, below the name, has been correctly coloured (I had expected to have to colour that area myself).

The loco is just being finished off with the minor detailing, prior to a good clean-up (I use Fryolux solder paint which produces clean joints but leaves quite a bit of flux residue on surrounding areas) and then into the paint shop (the tender was finished and painted some months ago).

John.

Offline 753

John

Regarding your bogie axle box casting they are rather nice could you let me know the supplier?

Thanks

Mike

Online John Candy

Mike,
They are supplied by Walsall Model Industries, who do various parts for the Dean "Armstrong" 4-4-0 and the Armstrong 388 Class "Standard Goods" 0-6-0.... the loco springs (see sample below) also came from them.
Regards,
John.

P.S. WMI sell quite a few G3 items which are not listed on their website.

Offline 753

Re: Calcutta will be coming to Monkton Priors...eventually!
« Reply #10 on: May 08 2019 09:43 »
John

Thanks for the info, I think they will do nicely for the City. I am making a start on the frames today!!

Mike

Online John Candy

"The Devil is in the detail".
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10 2019 10:54 »
"The Devil is in the detail".

The old saying is certainly true when it comes to cab detailing. It has taken an inordinate amount of time trawling through books and websites for clues as to what should be in a "late" surviving Bulldog cab, as well as making the parts.

The only "official" photo I could find of a Bulldog cab was of an "as built" loco (i.e. in 1906 with steam reverser and none of the numerous later modifications). I had to form an opinion from photos and drawings of other Edwardian period GWR locos (including "Truro") and adapt to what I knew about the history of Bulldog modifications. Later additions were flared cabs to suit the 3500 gallon tenders, the ATC bell and tip-up seats.
I don't claim my efforts to be 100% accurate but I don't think it can be far off and certainly a great improvement on the backhead which came with the loco (see second photo)!!!

It took a week of pattern/mould making and casting to cobble together the bits but a useful 220 grams weight has been added just behind the rear axle and this should further improve the weight distribution (most is from the cast metal backhead).

Not much now left to do but all "fiddly" little bits and pieces.

John.

Offline 753

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10 2019 17:06 »
John
A good looking backhead, you can spend hours working on the detail but I think if you can see into an open cab it’s well worth it. The only thing to say about the original backhead is it’s horrible made by someone who had no interest!
Ironically, I have spent the day making the cab for the City
Keep up the good work

Mike

Online John Candy

"The Devil is in the detail"....more "fiddly bits".
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12 2019 10:47 »
"The Devil is in the detail"....more "fiddly bits".

On "Calcutta", there are a total of 16 washout plugs (4 set into boiler top and 12 in firebox casing) plus 4 additional domed covers on the shoulders of the firebox.
Without them the loco would look a bit "flat" in those areas so they had to be added.

There are probably dozens of different ways of making them but I had the materials to hand to fabricate them as described here.

For the 16 plugs, the basic materials used were 3mm OD copper tube (thick wall type); 2.3mm OD brass tube (thin wall); 1.8mm OD brass tube (thin wall); 1mm square brass wire.
It may sound like a long tedious process but I made the 16 washout plugs in 90 minutes.

Firstly, using a piercing saw with a No.1 blade (the finest), I cut 16 lengths from each of the three types of tube.

3mm holes were drilled into the boiler and firebox and the 3mm copper tube sections were soldered in place.
Next, those copper implants were drilled out 2.3mm.

A 200mm length of 1mm square wire was taken, the end "squared off" and section each of 1.8mm and 2.3mm tube were slid onto the wire, leaving a couple of mm of wire projecting from the tube end. Blobs of Fryolux solder paint were wiped onto each end of the tubes and a quick flash over with a microflame butane torch secured the tubes. A quick wipe to clean off excess flux and the assembly was snipped off. Wire end then squared off again and process repeated until 16 had been produced. The assembly stage took less than one minute per plug.

The completed plugs were a sliding interference fit into the 3mm implants and were positioned and then secured with a drip of "Hafixs" industrial cyano which penetrated the interface between the copper and brass tubes and now firmly holds the completed assembly.]

The domed covers were stamped out of thin brass sheet using a disc punch to produce the circular base and a dapping block for the domes.

The photos of the plugs below are magnified about 20X!

John

Offline 753

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14 2019 10:01 »
John

Your washout plugs look very accurate, looking at photo evidence of several 0-4-4’s  many had flap covers over the pugs. I may take the easier way to show detail !!

Mike