Author Topic: Calcutta will be coming to Monkton Priors...eventually!  (Read 1424 times)

Offline John Candy

Re: Calcutta will be coming to Monkton Priors...eventually!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15 2019 11:06 »
Mike,

Early photos of the "City" locos do show pivoted flaps covering the washout plugs and just the domed covers on the firebox shoulders. There were so many changes to the outside framed 4-4-0s, of all classes, over the years that getting an absolutely accurate model of any individual loco is well nigh impossible (unless you have photos taken from all angles and at the same time).

I have been puzzling over the sandbox filler caps on Calcutta for a while......the 1950 photo shows caps with a lifting knob but other locos (where the caps are visible) all show a transverse handle (as does a 1940 GA of an "Earl"/"Dukedog" rebuild).  I went with the 1950s photo and fitted the later type.

Another puzzle was circular covers on the lower part of the smokebox saddle : They do not appear on any drawing and were only fitted to certain locos. I reached the conclusion that they were for access to the bogie mountings since they were only present in conjunction with a certain pattern of rebuilt bogie. The original Dean bogies were rebuilt over time, while newer locos were fitted with the de Glehn type from new and the newer locos (e.g. "Bird" series) did not have the covers.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #16 on: Jun 23 2019 09:11 »
Three months to the day (since work started) and "Calcutta" is ready for the paintshop!
The only details remaining to be fitted are the springs in front of the splashers (those will be black, whereas splasher fronts are to be green), boiler handrails, tie-bars along the bottoms of the frames (they can only be bolted in place when the body is finally bolted to the chassis, since the wheels/extended axles need to pass through) and the number and nameplates.

The completed tender has been waiting a year for the loco to appear.

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline 753

« Reply #17 on: Jun 23 2019 10:42 »
John

Excellent job, there is great satisfaction when a loco nears completion. Are you planning to paint below the footplate Indian red as there seems to be a discrepancy in the tone of Indian red. HMRS book A Great Western Way and Precision Paints shows a dark red where as Swindon Steam’s City is much lighter, any thoughts?

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #18 on: Jun 23 2019 11:14 »
Mike,
Calcutta will be finished in the later livery, black below the running plate (the tender is already finished in the 1934 "shirtbutton" livery).

The shade of Indian red seems to vary greatly in photos. Problem is type of lighting and the type of film which both affect the tones.

e.g    http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1900.html

If Phoenix/Precision Paints currently offer GWR Indian Red, then I would be inclined to use it.

Regards,
John

Offline John Candy

« Reply #19 on: Jun 24 2019 07:43 »
Now in primer (2 x coats of Teroson VR4500 self-etch, followed by one coat of grey metal primer) which shows up the detail.... and a few minor blemishes which will be treated with 1200 grade wet 'n' dry.

John.

Offline 753

« Reply #20 on: Jun 24 2019 09:12 »
John

I am impressed with your backhead details, did you use castings or make the individual parts

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #21 on: Jun 24 2019 09:25 »
Mike,
It is a mixture of home-made castings, fabricated pipework parts and "odds and ends"  leftover from various kits.
The main backhead base plate is my own whitemetal casting, as are the vac brake setter, base plate of the regulator and gauges. The tip-up seats and ATC bell are my own resin castings, the other parts are from tube, wire and kit leftovers (e.g. the reverser screw).
If any of my castings are suitable for Truro, I have spares (I batch cast for future use.....many will probably never be needed)!
Regards,
John.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #22 on: Jun 30 2019 21:55 »
25+ degrees in the garage .... perfect weather for painting.

Over past 3 days, the body of 3406 has been sprayed in the post-1928 GWR colours using spray can paint and detailing then picked out with a brush and Humbrol colours.

Just a few spots to be touched up in the cab and, when the paint has had a few days to fully harden, the name and number plates will be fitted. The dummy spring castings (which fit in front of the splashers) will be the final details to be added. Haven't decided whether or not to "flatten" the finish with a coat of varnish ... there are no transfers to be protected, so not essential.

Next, the chassis to be sprayed black and the buffer plate finished in Phoenix/Precision GWR buffer red, then 3406 added using transfers left over from the GRS sheets for the 57XX locos.

John.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #23 on: Jul 02 2019 10:46 »
At last ........ no longer anonymous!

The superb etched Guilplates applied , including the tender plate on the 3500 gallon Churchward tender, (which is of the later GW type .... cast in iron instead of brass).

John.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #24 on: Jul 07 2019 20:08 »
Coming together!

"Calcutta" has been test-run successfully and just the external dummy spring castings remain to be fitted in front of the splashers......am still waiting for the fourth one to arrive from Walsall ....and the vacuum flexible hose.
Note the Blue route restriction disc with the GWR power classification "B" (the BR rating was 3P), high on the cab side in the pre-war position (during the war, the standard position for new locos and re-paints was above the number plate, to aid identification under "blackout" conditions).

"Calcutta" (withdrawn in January 1951) would have had her last major "shopping" in the mid 1930s and only survived so long as a result of the war ..... more light 4-6-0s of the "Manor" 78XX class would have been built to replace the remaining "Bulldogs", had the war not intervened.

Clearly just "out-shopped", she stands "dead" on one of the turntable roads.

John

Offline 753

« Reply #25 on: Jul 08 2019 09:40 »
John

Superb job, examples of earlier loco’s are not supported by the trade so it’s good to see your excellent version.

When I complete the City it would be fun to run both as double headed!!

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #26 on: Jul 08 2019 22:34 »
Mike,
Look forward to seeing Truro.

I hope to be at the Ampthill meet in September (I haven't been there for two years) and will take Calcutta for a good "running in".

On my bench at the moment are a trio of LNW Coal Tanks, so "old timers" are becoming more common!

Regards,
John.