Author Topic: Electric loco  (Read 1268 times)

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
Re: Electric loco
« Reply #15 on: Jun 25 2019 19:46 »
Since this s a "private" board (only visible to G3S members), I have taken the liberty of scanning two photos from the book.
The first is of GW 1303 (ex-TVR 172) propelling a train on the Penarth branch ..... if you look closely, you can make out the untidy arrangement of cables attached to the chimney which was the TVR method of auto-train control .... replaced by the GWR system which made these locos redundant (photo attributed to H.T.Hobbs).

The second photo shows 174 dressed up to haul a Royal Train in 1912  (photo attributed to C. Batstone).

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Jun 25 2019 20:46 »
So John, be honest, having looked into it and found its quite accurate, you really rather fancy it now don't you?  But maybe at 25% of the asking price!

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Jun 25 2019 21:30 »
Well, I can now see some virtue in it and a good "going over" and a lick of GW green would make it more attractive!

If it were  not a purely South Wales loco .... I doubt they ever left the area, even for major work, since they were never "Swindonised" with cone boiler and all the GW trimmings..... I might be tempted but not at anywhere remotely close to the "pie-in-the-sky" price being asked.

I suspect it was found in a loft (or shed) as part of a house clearance by a "chancer" who paid little or nothing for it.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Spitfire2865

• Forum Group A Member
  • Group A Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: Jun 26 2019 03:12 »
I see his description now states he is blocking any "time wasters" who offer below his listed price.
Sorry your pile of rust isnt worth a tenth of what your inflated ego said it was. What a fool.
Also, did they ever supply photos of the 3 wagons supposedly with it?
-Trevor Young

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Jul 10 2019 16:50 »
Two of the wagons are lettered "W P".  This is a (very!) long shot, but at one time builders often put their own initials onto the models they made and there was a W Pringle building Gauge 3 around the first war period.  He scratch built carriages, so probably wagons also.

One of historic experts in the Society usually reads this forum and sends me notes, but so far there has been nothing from David!

Mike