• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Thump.... Thump.... Thump... - the final installment!

Started by cabbage, Apr 10 2019 16:05

« previous - next »

cabbage

Now that I have an unwilling assisstant I can start laying the straight sections onto their piers. It is not tjat they are heavy - just 4.8m long...

This afternoon we have installed two straight sections. Glue and screw them together and leave overnight.

Tomorrows work is applied jiggery pokery saw work. I plan to cut the new intersection for the outer curve, the runnoff from "the drag strip" and finally (hopefully) install the third straight section. This does however have a set of points running across it. My plan is to scrap the existing lead out and build a new one and the glue and screw that the new third piece.

This will mean lifting the existing track and re-laying it - prior to the commisioning of the second line, (when it will all have to be done again!)

Here is the first section in place

The large plants growing in the raised beds are cardoons and globe artichokes.

This is the second length showing the problem with the points.

I will lift the points after tea.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Busy day with a bandsaw! After having used two corbflakes boxes to make templates with... The new intersection of the X-lawn track and the Great North Straight has been cut. As usual the bandsaw blade bounced around cut a less than straight line -but it was enough. The lengtg for the new outer inner track and outer track abbutments made for a few "words" but both pieces have mated to their side with a little persuasion wih G cramps.

This is the new X-lawn junction. The "theory" is the I will just be able to slide the points along the exit angle and shorten the injection straight. I is going to be done after the running season ready for next year(!)

This shot shows the new "squared off" end of the Great Way Round curve. The track currently feeding the outer straight will next feed the inner straight. This will result in a slightly tighter curve. The new curve added will form the outer track.

Thus the outer track will have no points and be suitable for high speed running.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Today I am taking it slow... I knackered my left knee on Wednesday and the thing is really letting me know about it! So, it has been out with the angle grinder and the flap disc to make sure all the ends of the facets aproximate "square". I like to use Cascamite resin glue to join the ends of the facets. I also mix it slightly sloppier than the instructions say. This allows me to spread the glue like peanut butter -rather than butter.

These are the first two pairs of facets to be joined. They are lying inverted on a sheet of glass. Both ends have been " buttered up" with glue. The bricks hold them flush to the surface and the G cramps tighten the joint to contact. Any excess glue is slopped onto any joint that is local.

The glue will set in about eight hours at this temperature, which is fine as I am busy tomorrow morning. Probably Sunday the next two pairs get glued and so we continue.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

The last pair of facets are now setting on the glass sheet. I have rough laid out the pieces to see what plant needs attacking now.

Most of the heavy clearence was done over the weekend with a chainsaw... What you see below  is the result of sneezing with a 2kW electric chainsaw!!!

Regards

Ralph

Ps nothing was harmed except my wallet(!)

cabbage

This afternoon Tim and I fitted the new courner roughly into its final position. Iy took only an hour and a half to do this. I had expected far longer(!)

Tomorrow after the dose of painkillers has worn off (I knackered my knees again) I will re-enforce the screws with more glue to unite the two curves. The afternoon was spent supping tea and slices of Simmnel cake. The version I know is a rich orange flavoured fruitcake with Almond Marchpane on top, marked with 12 slices into the yellow almond Marchpane.

Monday when everything is "normal" again I will replace the painfully mangled piece of track and start the running season! The roof of Brassica is still being played with.

I remember waving to Tim from the door then yhe painkillers hit me. It is now 18:45... My Son waited for me to stop snoring then asked what was for tea...

Regards

Ralph

Peaky 556

It was a delight to help Ralph, as was the home-made Marchpane.

As for Dan, I'm presuming that his university education now enables him to make a tasty supper of cup-a-soup! 😂

Rgds, Tim

cabbage

I have replaced the mangled piece of track. I have yet to position the rubble to support the new trackwork. Once that is done I can inject glue into the gaps. There will be a final once over with the angle grinder to smooth off errant screws then it is ready for the gunge of mastic and roofing felt prior to laying the second track.

I then have to finally tidy up the garden and ready it for work...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

This is a doodle of how the new layout will look. The Great North Straight is 0.5miles (scale) and the Drag Strip on the south side is 0.25 miles (scale). It was always designed for the high speed running of Diesels and Electrics!!!

When I started building it there were going to be four "Peak" diesels made by four different people from two sets of plans. I still wonder what a game of "Nuclear Flask Football"  on the Drag Strip would have looked like(!)

Regards

Ralph

Peaky 556

It'll be impressive when complete Ralph.
I still have one 'Peaklet' in the shape of "Hillock" that will happily blast around your railway now that it's suspension is revised. Is your Ixion going to be sorted for the GTG on 18th May?   We just need a ball!
Rgds,
Tim

Doddy

Quote from: Peaky 556 on Apr 21 2019 14:00I still have one 'Peaklet' in the shape of "Hillock" that will happily blast around your railway now that it's suspension is revised.

What was the revison Tim?
"You don't know what you don't know"

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Apr 21 2019 08:45I still wonder what a game of "Nuclear Flask Football" on the Drag Strip would have looked like(!)

What type of locomotion for the dragstrip Nuclear Test?

An ALCO MRS-1 or BR Class 46 009 'Peak'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlextDSoVkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3iRu71PGDA

Raises interest in the possibility of building a G3 sized "collapsable Peak" like the Tri-ang "Battle Space" exploding car (R.249).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n776ykJWegQ

Doddy

PS: "This hobby is just for fun and not to be taken too seriously"

cabbage

Robert,
If you remember there were going to be four class 46 peaks. Mine, Dave, Tim and yours! As to the nuclear flask... Well the one impacted at the Operation Smash Hit test  would have done nicely!

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Apr 22 2019 09:41
Robert,
If you remember there were going to be four class 46 peaks. Mine, Dave, Tim and yours! As to the nuclear flask... Well the one impacted at the Operation Smash Hit test  would have done nicely!

Regards

Ralph

Well, we have 2 1/2 locomotives completed so far, given 22 commercial plans were sold and three builds intended from BR plans that represents a 10% build rate.

Bob

Doddy

Quote from: cabbage on Apr 21 2019 08:45It was always designed for the high speed running of Diesels and Electrics!!!

Perhaps a 1,250 MPH High Speed Train like this one for inspiration . . .

https://youtu.be/-4tldQOJJ10?t=44

;D ;D ;D

Peaky 556

Breathtaking, but don't you cringe when seeing the various reverse curves coming up!  Makes you appreciate the value of banking.
Where is the wonderful station with the buildings over the line, shortly out of London?

Rgds, Tim

PS "Hillock" now has all driving axles sprung.  Each wheel has over 1kg so finding stiff enough springs was a challenge!