• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GWR City Wheels

Started by 753, Apr 29 2019 13:07

« previous - next »

Doddy

Quote from: John Candy on May 01 2019 23:16
I had Mark Wood make the wheels to special order for "Calcutta" (5ft 8ins on Bulldogs) since they needed to be without the cast-on cranks of the N2.5GA  and Slater's wheels. He has now added them to his standard range under the cat. No. X150. The set of four coupled wheels plus four bogie wheels cost 180GBP (plus postage) and delivery was three months from placing the order.

The extended axles and flying cranks were supplied by Walsall Model Industries.

John.

Shame the 'like' button dissapeared?  :-\
"You don't know what you don't know"

MikeWilliams

Superb.  Save the pennies Mike.  I suspect the cost of Mark Wood wheels will add very little to the total cost of the engine overall and don't they look good!

Mike

John, Mike

Thank you for your suggestions re wheels and motors, my main hobby / interest is model engineering and have built several 5" gauge locos over the years thus I have a very well-equipped workshop that includes a CNC mill.

My approach to model making is it's a challenge can I make the whole thing? working out how to make various complicated parts to me lies the pleasure.

When I got involved with G1, the engines and stock I like are all pre grouping thus no commercial models were available so I spent five years making a G1 model railway in the style of the smaller gauges. Rather than buying models, I invested in the CNC mill which allows me to make models at a fraction of the cost of bought items.

If you look the image of the Armstrong chassis in a previous post you will see the wheels are made from acrylic with steel tyres, much the same as Slaters wheels.

The plan is to build the City by making every part with the exception of the motor / gearbox, there are many motor gearbox combinations available on e-bay, the ones I use for G1 fit perfectly between the fames and have enormous torque and cost around £10.
As I am new to G3 I don't profess to know how things are done in this scale so I appreciate others experiences and suggestions, after all that is the purpose of a forum.

Mike.

Doddy

Quote from: 753 on May 02 2019 10:12"The plan is to build the City by making every part with the exception of the motor / gearbox, there are many motor gearbox combinations available on e-bay, the ones I use for G1 fit perfectly between the fames and have enormous torque and cost around £10."

Do you have a URL for the eBay pages?

Many thanks

cabbage

You may find that you need far more torque than you are used to with a G1 model! My current (!) build is an electric Black 5. This uses two large electric motors and a 25 Ampere ESC.

The reduction is 16:1.... The corners used by G3 are far tighter than those used by G1. 4 chain corners are common 6 and 8 chain corners -not so common... This requires "trickery" not found to often on G1.

Transitional straights at the end of curves, gauge widening on the inside of curves, independant rotating wheels and thought as to wheel play or articulation of same.

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

Here is one example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-3-5-15-60-100-120-300RPM-High-Torque-Gear-Box-Micro-Electric-Motor-UK-CDD/173528311268?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57477%26meid%3D36fe435f3443420ebf228dfbfcd16666%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D272894820924%26itm%3D173528311268&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Try looking here

1.   Business, Office & Industrial Supplies
2.   Automation, Motors & Drives
3.   Industrial Electric Motors
4.   Industrial Electric Gearmotors

There is a large selection of voltages, speeds and torque

Mike

Doddy

Hello Mike,
I presume these are mounted in such a way that a couple of spur gears would be used to transmit power to the axle?

Dodddy
I make gearboxes using nylon gears form these people

https://www.motionco.co.uk/index.php?_route_=gears-bevel-gears-c-32_41.html

Bevel gears to get the drive in line with axle then depending how you wish orientate the motor to the engine add gears to get the desired speed.

Mike

Doddy

Thank you Mike,

Sets of bevel gears and motors have been sent for . . .

300rpm motor                                                                                                                                                 

1:2 Bevel Gear Selection Chart                                                                                                                                                                       

John Candy

As a follow-up to the matter of balancing the 4-4-0 "Calcutta", below are photos of the counterbalance weights I have so far added. The total weight of the mainframes + coupled wheels + Motor/gearbox + weights is now 2.09kg.

The cast whitemetal weight behind the rear wheels (beneath cab) is 470g and the forward weight (just ahead of the gearbox/rear axle) is 230g. If necessary, there is space to increase the smaller weight to nearly 500g but I think the current loading will be sufficient to prevent any tendency to nose-dive. The rear weight fills all available space between the rear frame stretcher and the gearbox....in fact there is less than 1mm clearance from gear wheel.

John

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.