Author Topic: Putting the brakes on...  (Read 469 times)

Offline cabbage

Putting the brakes on...
« on: May 21 2019 14:40 »
As some people know I have had a heart attack recently... I am thus barred from doing anything useful until I reach the "fourth milestone". So, sat infront of my computer armed with a book of Tims I have decided to start making brake assemblies for my wagons.

It has been out with the tea and gingernuts some raw tests with old mechanno and I have something that works! The main problem is that  because I am barred from "mechanicals" I am going to have to print them! There will be one lever arm per wagon, since what is not RCH 1923 is 1908...

I really would like them to "work" but they will probably be "working dummies" and lack any true holding power.

As before the SCAD files will be loaded onto the G3 WIKI for people to use and mangle!

Regards

Ralph

Offline 753

Re: Putting the brakes on...
« Reply #1 on: May 21 2019 16:03 »
Ralph

Sorry to hear of your set back, take it easy, frustrating but required and get well soon.

Regards

Mike

Offline cabbage

« Reply #2 on: May 22 2019 10:44 »
I have produced the descriptions for the Vee hanger, the push rod shuttle and the brake lever. Thanks to a friend who kindly took me to Derby Midland station where I was able to examine and measure the items welded into the car park fence...

The next step is to design some brake blocks, their hangers and push rods.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #3 on: May 23 2019 15:05 »
These are the first tests of the brake lever, shuttle and lever holder. The shuttle is, l think, too long and needs shortening. The lever holder could do with a few strokes with a needle file to square a few things off but that is down to speed of printing.

So far everything looks like it should work.

Regards

Ralph

Offline cabbage

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08 2019 09:23 »
The printer has been hard at work! It has finished printing the brake blocks. The shuttle arms did need resizing and the Vee hangers are all now printed and stuck to the main beams of the wagons.

The brake mounting brackets have yet to be designed and printed. I admit that that the push rods from the shuttle to the brake blocks might have to be made from 1.6mm brass wire!!!

Regards

Ralph