• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Battery Pack

Started by 753, May 26 2019 15:53

« previous - next »

I would like advice on battery packs

https://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acatalog/Li-Ion-26650-size-battery---3.2-V-3300-mAh-with-solder-tags-1902.html#SID=1098

I found these batteries with the idea of making my own pack, six of these would give 19.2V at 3300mah for £36.00. Can anyone see any problems with this idea?
Tanks

Mike

John Candy

Mike,
I am not in favour of Lithium cells for two reasons.
Firstly, (unless they have been improved in recent years) they decay from the moment they are produced (i.e. have a limited shelf-life) and the charge they can hold deteriorates with age (not just with use).
I had a Polk brand Lithium pack supplied for use with a railcar kit supplied by GRS some years ago and after only three years it was totally "dead" ... and I hadn't even used it!
By comparison, NiMH cells will last for up to 1000 re-charges and seem to go on and on and on!
Secondly, there seems to be an increased risk of fire associated with the storage and re-charging of Lithium cells.
My recommendation is to use NiMH cells from a supplier such as "Strikalite".
Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

Mike,
If it's a combination of great weight and value for money that appeals, then you can't beat sealed lead acid cells!
With two "bricks" you can get your 19V but 4500mAh, for a cost of about £25-28.
Shape may be a problem for you, and lifetime seems to be around 3-4 years in my experience.
Regards, Tim

cabbage

The main problem with both Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries is the "cliff edge voltage". Most commercial packs include a voltage detector that cuts off the battery before this voltage is reached. Once the voltage falls below this - it will not charge again...

Both Li-ion and Li-poly packs require specific "intelligent" chargers and using a Lithium cell pack is not advisable in a loco since they get VERY hot during charging.

I have the knowlege and training to build large Lithium cell systems and my advice is DON'T.

I would agree with Tim that an SLA brick is better for a G3 loco.

Regards

Ralph

Thanks for the advice, I have little experience with powering G3 locos, so your input is appreciated.

Mike

LankyTank

For guidance & wisdom, I usually talk to Steve Foster at www.fosworks.co.uk - he's the guy who took over from Peter Spoerer

No connection/interest, just a satisfied customer. Saves making expensive mistakes.

Barry

Note, other R/C gurus are available - just that I've not dealt with them.

John Branch

I have stuck to either Strikealight or Turginy AA NiMH cell packs. The Turginy ones are marketed by Hobbyking, and come in all shapes, sizes and voltages.  You can buy cells individually or in ready-assembled packs, which is usually cheaper.  for example a Turginy 5-cell (6v) 2.3Ah pack is around £7.  The packs are good as they are shrink-wrapped and the cells are tagged-both good things to have.  Using AA based cell packs gives you  more flexibility when it come to stuffing them in restricted spaces- down a boiler for instance.

I have used Lead-Acid bricks as well, and they are good, but a bit inflexible in outline.

or you could go for graphine..............

John