• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Stock Boxes

Started by Bruce_L, Jun 19 2019 12:32

« previous - next »

Bruce_L

I've come across a whole range of aluminium 'flight' cases many of which are on ebay. These are sold by the Allendale Group but as I say, they have loads on ebay.
The one that caught my eye was a long one #C403. At 850x295x270mm I can get a full B-set in it (I'll try and add a photo) and its strong enough to hold the 15kg weight. I've added two case handles so I can pick it up the right way. I need to fit some thin rails underneath a second one so I can stack them safely.
They are half the price of GRS boxes and are bigger and probably more robust as well.
Their range of smaller ones might take wagons etc.

Note, I've no connection with the company - I just think the big one is great!
Bruce

Bruce_L

The Allendale company (Cases-and-enclosures.co.uk) have a promotion on at the moment :- 10% off anything but only until 3rd February (not far away!).
Bruce

Stock Boxes for Carriages etc.

Needing stout storage and transporting boxes for long, beefy and heavy carriages, (my Southern EMU stock) I was advised by a G3 member that York Box Co would supply to order. (Tel:- 01904 788211. www.yorkbox.co.uk.)

Made of C Flute (5mm) board with cover of same material enclosing box, I ordered 10x 100cm x 17.5cm x 20cm. These should be sufficient to hold Kingscale Mk. 1's and similar. Boxes were £10 each+ shipping. My total cost was £144 Inc. VAT.

I was pleased with these as I was finding difficulty in locating suitable boxes. The company was very helpful, and the boxes arrived within a couple of days.

I could recommend this company and their boxes as they provided a very satisfactory solution to a fairly difficult problem.

Robert. 492.

Peaky 556

Interesting Robert, very low cost.  They rank favourably on cost with my planting trough conversions!
Have they hinged lids, internal padding and are they stackable?
A few pics would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

Sorry Tim. Can't transfer pics from my 'phone at the moment. (Needs stamping on and replacing.)
The boxes are just strong cardboard with no frills. Think of the lid as a very slightly larger box that fits over, inverted. They can, however, be stacked.

Hope this is of some help.

Robert. 492.

Bruce_L

Allendale, the Cases and Enclosures company, are having their Spring sale (plus, I expect business is very low at the moment), so if you want any metal boxes now is the time to take advantage of their £5 to £25 reductions (for about 3 more days).
Website is:
www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk
Bruce