Author Topic: Anyone for the "Tube"?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline LankyTank

• G3 Society Member
  • Old enough to know better, but I don't care.....
Re: Anyone for the "Tube"?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 02 2019 15:58 »
John

An enquiry to Peartree Engineering a.k.a Model Railway Parts on either 01379 608000 or info@modelrailwayparts.com might bear fruit (sorry, no pun intended..... oh, go on then....)

www.modelrailwayparts.com/

HTH
Barry

Offline John Branch

« Reply #16 on: Sep 02 2019 16:46 »
Thanks, Barry, I'll let you know.

John

Offline IanT

« Reply #17 on: Sep 02 2019 23:04 »
Hi John,

Re: my recent post about cast iron pulleys...

"They are just under 44mm in total diameter with a thickness of 10mm. I think (for use in G3) the maximum scale tread possible would be about 2ft 8" (bottom of pulley groove is 37mm) so you could probably get a turned tread of 36mm, one side of the pulley wall acting as a flange. So not big enough for standard gauge wagon wheels...."

So that might be a possible source of materials, maybe you just need someone (Walsall?) to machine them for you.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline John Branch

« Reply #18 on: Nov 22 2019 13:05 »
Not sure whether to post here or on the more recent thread on choice of motors, but as my latest project is for power bogies for LT 1938 tube stock, I thought this was the best place.  Photo attached is first mock up of the closest I have yet come to an axle hung design.  It uses a pair of unidentified , but identical, motors salvaged from the wreckage of a Canon inkjet printer. Subjectively, it seems to deliver enough ooomph to do what I want, although it will be a few months yet before this is demonstrable.  As in the prototype there will be one motor per bogie, thus 2 per car.  My hope is that there will be enough power to haul a dummy motor car ( or even 2 trailers) to make a train of it.  I have no idea what the rated power/voltage of the motors are, but as some probing with a meter before final destruction of the printer revealed, the power supply seemed to deliver +12v-0--12v.
Next milestone is a running bogie, will keep you posted

John